Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #1 
BettaBetty

Bubbles all over the place. -New set up, no fish yet- What and why?

Okay here is the 10-gal tank I have set up and treated, washed everything inside it with hot water. There is air bubbles on everything! Is this harmful to the fish? I don't want to put bubblegum in the tank if its going to kill him. All tests are good however, I worry about all these bubbles.

In his 1.5g tank there are only his own personal bubbles. Difference is he is using bottled water and the big tank has tap water.

BettaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #2 
Burd

Those bubbles happen when you put plastic stuff in an aquarium, especially if the aquarium itself is acrylic/plastic and isn't worn in. The gravel looks like the inexpensive kind that holds onto the bubbles too. It's pretty harmless as long as the tank is clean, you washed the gravel and otherwise everything is peachy. The bubbles will slowly go away or you can knock them off. It's just a sign of a new aquarium. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #3 
BettaBetty

:) Thanks! Good to know its nothing serious! Heheh. Weird how attached one can get to a -fish-!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I always get those bubbles when I set up a new tank or make a large water change--they're just air bubbles that form when a lot of water is added. They'll go away in a few days.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #5 
nowzem

It's actually gases in the water...I read somewhere that the bubbles can actually attach to your fish's gills and give him oxygen overdose, althought I've never seen that happen. It's best to wait 24 hours to let the gases reach equilibrium.

I found this explanation: Don't worry too much about it. It is probably from a combination of gasses that need to dissipate. Tap water is pressurized in your pipes so those gasses will show themselves as bubbles when it sits out in your tank. Almost like a bottle of carbonated soda water does when you first open the cap. Leave the top of the tank open and let it air out for another day or two.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #6 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBetty View Post
:) Thanks! Good to know its nothing serious! Heheh. Weird how attached one can get to a -fish-!
Indeed XP
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Oh dont worry about that, just knock the bubbles off the tank walls and stuff and your good :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #8 
gbose

Please remember to use dechlorinator with you tap water! Don't worry about bubbles -- they do no harm.
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #9 
BettaBetty

@Gbose

Of course. I do all of that. I was prepared for the fishies before we got them. Thank you though!