Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 
gmd1800

Shipping questions!

I've already read shipping threads where the person instructed how to ship fish (1fish2fish, the sticky, and so forth). I have a few questions however:

1) The sticky and 1fish2fish's advice don't really go together about the water when shipping. The sticky says to use clean tank water (as in, change the water one or two days before shipping and ship the fish in the water). However, 1fish2fish says to use clean dechlorinated water. What are the pros and cons of each?

2) As I'm technically not shipping but transporting the boys to NC for the summer, would it be okay to forgo the heating pad? I'm worried that the box might get too hot, especially since I don't use air conditioning in my car and it can get pretty warm in there. We plan on stopping to get lunch and so forth, so the fish might in the car for a while. I plan on acclimating them for a few hours when I get home to get them used to the temperature and water quality change.

3) Can I use lots of newspapers to wedge the boys comfortably in the box? I don't want to use packing peanuts or styrofoam if deemed unnecessary (that and I don't know where to get them )

I plan on packing up my room this weekend, and the next thing after that is figuring out how to ship the fish comfortably and safely. I plan on going to PetCo this weekend and getting some bags for the boys (2 per fish, plus a few extras) and rubber bands. Should I feed them the day before shipping, including the night before if we leave at 8am the next day?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #2 
Tisia

my ab boy came with shredded newspapers cushioning him in the box, so it should be fine. think you're supposed to fast them like at least a day in advance so they're not pooping in the bag and building up extra ammonia
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #3 
gmd1800

Sounds good. I was thinking of fasting anyway, but I always feel bad when I feel their begging eyes on me. You know how bettas are! :D
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 
Ariel1719

When i moved to Ottawa from Toronto last year it was a 4.5 hour drive. I had my dear Bacardi with me. I basically 'half' packed him. I got a shoe box and put him in a fish bag with a little bit of CLEAN never been touched water. I didn't add the heat pack as it was in the summer on a really sunny day, and his box was going to be rotated between sun and no sun. He was absolutely fine when we got there and swam around like nothing happened. When I bought Goose, I bought him in Toronto when I was there for a visit, so he too had to do the 4.5 hour drive with me. He was just a baby and I hadn't even had him a day, but this time i was not prepared to bring a fish so for that quick journey I got a Starbucks cup and filled it a little bit with clean clean water and put him in the cup holder in my car. This time it was winter so i wrapped a sweater around him and had the heat on but he was also totally fine when I brought him home :) I think packing to ship a fish via plane, and packing to drive with a fish are very different. More easy to drive with a fish because at least you know everything they are going through and can check on them. When they are being shipped to you, you don't know if they are being dropped, fumbled, scared or anything!

This time next year we will be moving BACK to Toronto. SO my 3 fish are going to have to do the drive with me again! Plus I will have my dog and cat with me. So two crates and 1 giant shoebox of 4 fish! :)
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #5 
gmd1800

So it should be OK to use a shoebox and pack the boys in there in plastic bags? Should the water be brand new or what they're used to (clean tank water)?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
Sounds good. I was thinking of fasting anyway, but I always feel bad when I feel their begging eyes on me. You know how bettas are! :D
definitely, lol, their little tummies can look all round and they'll still give you that "is that all?" look, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #7 
nowzem

I would use a mixture of clean and regular (so it wont be shocking and yet it wont have all the tank nasties (poop,etc)) I also def would NOT use a heating pad at this time of year. Bettas just get lethargic in cold weather and its only detrimental if its severely cold or for extended periods. Try them out at room temp for a few days..and gradually (a degree or two a day) lowere their temps to what you think it will be during transport if you're worried. :) Good luck! Definitely fast the little guys. Its good for them to fast once a week anyways :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote