Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
newbie32

RIP King Fishy

King Fishy passed away this morning. Most of his fins had broken off and were floating in the water. He was a dark blue in life, but his corpse was a pinkish white. His eyes were redish. Poor lil guy.

Now that he has passed, how do I clean the tank? Do I use bleach or just water? I would like to get another better to put in with my snail.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Try white vinegar instead. There is less of a risk associated. Search the threads to find the appropriate dosing.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

I'm sorry for your loss.

We use vinegar and hot water. Just regular vinegar and really almost scalding hot water.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #4 
newbie32

I've searched the forums and I never really saw much of a dosage. I'll try my best with the vinegar.

How do I deal with my snail? Will he be ok to be put in a bowl until the tank is cleaned and ready for him to be put back in? Also, could he be carrying in diseases? I'm not sure how one would clean a snail, but if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #5 
Harley

What did King Fishy die of or do you know? Maybe that info will help someone else know whether or not it can harm snails. I would use a reasonable amount of vinegar. I use a spray bottle for mine. You can't really use too much, just meke sure its rinsed thoroughly when you're done.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 
newbie32

I used white vinegar to clean my tank. I don't know how much. I basically just dumped some vinegar in, used a wash rag and scrubbed the tank, the plants (plastic), the castle, heater, filter and the hood. Then I rinsed. Then I got them with vinegar again. Then I rinsed a couple more times. I put all the stuff in front of a southern facing window for a day and a half to dry.

I have my tank set up again. First I put the snail in. He seemed fine. I waited a good 5/6 days before I put another betta in. He seems to be doing just fine as well. I'm not sure what King Fishy died of. I suspect he was sick when I got him. If you look at my posts, I had trouble with him from the beginning. I spent about 45 minutes picking out my new betta. He was lively, brightly colored, no tears/rips/black spots on any of his fins, no white specks, no white cottony blotches, no gold dust on the gills and he had a ton of bubbles in his cup. He's a fiesty lil devil and swims non stop. I hope this helps someone else in their search/cleanup/care of a betta. I hated to lose King Fishy, but hopefully his passing can educate others.