Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #101 
trono

Out of curiosity I held an algae cleaning sponge up to the outflow of my filter. I have the Marineland 100 and it seemed to make the Biowheel slow down. Is that bad? I want to baffle my filter, but not if it's going to mess things up with the Biowheel.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #102 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
If you want to slow it down more, just pull the sponge down a bit. :)
I did this and it slowed it a little, there still seems to be a current though. any other suggestions? would it be a good idea to use the bottle baffle too?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #103 
trono

To update on my problem, I bought a fluval chi filter sponge and cut a peice out of it and rubber banded it to the output of my filter and it did't create as much of a water back up problem that the algae sponge did as it's more porous than an algae sponge.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #104 
swhitt

Fish likes hiding in the bottle part>.<

My newest Betta Gaeta has been swimming into the bottle part of the baffled filter. I'm worried that the bottle will ultimately end up tearing his fins up, but I need the baffle because the water flow is too strong for him. I am not entirely sure what I should do. He has a homemade leaf hammock to rest on and he was using it until last night when he discovered the bottle.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #105 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitt View Post
My newest Betta Gaeta has been swimming into the bottle part of the baffled filter. I'm worried that the bottle will ultimately end up tearing his fins up, but I need the baffle because the water flow is too strong for him. I am not entirely sure what I should do. He has a homemade leaf hammock to rest on and he was using it until last night when he discovered the bottle.
This is posted on page 4 or this thread, but I will re-post it here to make sure you can find it.

Another way to baffle is to take a piece of aquarium sponge/foam and rubber band it to the filter where the water comes back into the tank.

Adjustable - pull the sponge/foam up for more flow or down for less flow - no sharp edges and another place for the good bacteria to grow.

I am attaching a picture of one of my betta tanks to show you what I mean. When the hood is closed, you don't really see the sponge.
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #106 
swhitt

Lion Mom- I own that same tank, although the filter looks a little different. But I will look into buying an aquarium sponge to baffle the filter with. Thank you for your response.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #107 
Lion Mom

You're welcome. :)

That filter is an Aqua Tech 5-10 & came with the tank (a Hawkeye 5 gal. I purchased through walmart.com).
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #108 
Diana S

Wow that's great thank you.
I have ? Do Betta's not like the moveing water ?Diana S
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #109 
SillyCone

this is alright, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffrdxIHUCU
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #110 
ClassicCharm

I have a sponge baffle on my filter, and there's a buildup of frothy bubbles trailing off the sponge. Normal, or no? If no, any ideas how to fix it?
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote