Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #1 
lunawatsername

LFSs? chain or locally owned?

so i was just wondering where you tend to lean when it comes to where you buy your fish... all the ones in my area have pros and cons (lots of cons -__-), but ultimately, i have made all my purchases from petco, as it is , to the best of my knowledge, the lesser of the evils. anyway, here is the rundown on my LFS conditions :)

unfortunately, my walmart does sell fish. from what i can remember (dont go there often, and never bought fish there) the fishy conditions arnt HORRIBLE like what some people have described, but still not the best.

my petco is a mixed bucket for me... on the one hand, i definitely trust them more than walmart. but sometimes i go in there and the bettas in particular are just totally unacceptable. the last fish i got there, i didnt even plan on getting a fish that day. i got her because i felt so bad, because she had dark mold growing on the bottom of her tank. she is doing much better now, shes more responsive and everything, but it makes me mad that it ever got that bad without someone taking care of her. but at te same time, when i got my male his tank was completely clean, he was relatively active. i think he must have been part of a new shipment...
i also once found a dead rat in one of their cages, and all the other rats were trampling it, while two kids were sitting there watching ( that was honestly the part that made me the maddest, because the rat did look old and could have died from natural causes. but it also had to have been there a while, it was nearly trampled flat, and the little girl started bawling when she realized it was dead)

there is also a locally owned store in town, but i have avoided going there for the most part so far, because i have always had bad customer service experience/bad reviews from friends and family that went there, but i havent been in a while so im planning on checking it out again sometime.

i actually havent been back to the fish sections of any of these stores since i have done the majority of my research on tropical fish(which is why i didnt say even more lol) but now that i know more of what to look for i will definitely be taking a close look at the conditions of all 3.

and finally, sorry this is so long this is just something im pretty passionate about, and it would be nice to talk with like-minded people about it for a change (most of hte time when i get all uppity with people about fish conditions, they look at me weird or ignore me... ) lol
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

I got my first two from Petco but they were sick when I bought them and passed on within days of each other. I went to Petsmart but the care was awful and the females were too tiny to even consider taking home. Too young. I trust WalMart more for healthy fish as Akira and Maka are both healthy active little guys building bubble nests, flaring and everything.

My local LPS is awful. Got dogs yes....An anaconda....Their fish section is dark but they do acclimate new shipments but their betta care is awful. The cups are so tiny they can't turn around and don't even have lids. I'm almost positive from the empty cups that they had some jumpers...I didn't by anything but the Buddha.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #3 
lunawatsername

wow.. that is terrible :/ stores like that need to be shut down IMO. i mean, some stores its just ignorance, and if you taught them they might be able to change. but putting a betta in those conditions mean that they must have done very little if any research on what bettas need, which is very irresponsible as a business, or they dont care, which is animal cruelty. either way, they need to change :(

its good you can trust walmart at least, i have heard a few people say that their walmarts were pretty awesome, and actually cared about their fish, which is great :) just wish mine was like that, because id rather go there than petco if i could... oh well :/
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Mine has a betta in their tetra and cory tank because someone smashed the cup and let the poor little dude flop about. He's beautiful and flitting about whenever I go. Trust me I have to complain a lot about the care as well as I've found several dead betta's. The females were so stressed they looked dead. Luckily they were perking up a lot after a waterchange and they got some beautiful ones in each shipment...Still ticks me off though. I agree about the LPS in my area. I was considering reporting them to the ASPCA should I ever be in the area near it and perhaps educate them on the need for proper animal care and tell them that they'll lose stock if their betta's jump.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
Tomsk

My main LFS is of a 3 shop chain (2 of the chain are close to me in Gloucestershire,the other is near Southampton).
The nearest does have a lot of planted tank items (C02 kits,ADA products etc) and also ships in fish from Thailand (this is how I managed to order in my 2nd Betta in the exact colour/fin type I wanted).
They have good stocks of fish and look after them well and as with all the fish shops I've been to in the UK,the Bettas are either kept singularly loose in a tank with non-fin nippers or in a Q tank attactment in a larger tank and not in "cups" like in the US etc.

Our Stores > Our Stores > About Aquajardin > Home > Aquajardin Limited

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote