Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #1 
Andrewsmama

Exclamation My Betta ATE my Mystery Snail's antennae! Help!

I'm new to keeping fish. I just got a new male betta, Blue, that I've had for less than a week. He's my second, as the first one died after 3 months. I also have 2 mystery snails in with him and he ATE their antennae!! The pet store people said the snails were fine to add with the betta. I feel sick about it - the snails were so amazing with their long antennae and now they just look kind of pathetic. Obviously, the damage is done, but are the snails going to be okay without the antennae? What should I do here? Are there other fish or snails that would be ok to put in with the betta? I'm new to this, so I guess I should back up and ask if I might be doing something wrong with the betta too - I really don't want to kill him either! Can anyone help me?
Andrewsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #2 
BlueHaven

They can grow back! I think it just takes a while. Their eye can grow back too if taken, though hopefull that won't happen!
Maybe you should put them in their own home, or if your betta is in a big tank, divide the tank so each has it's own space.
Watch out for snail eggs, mystery (apple) snails will reproduce and you'll have quite a few on your hands!
Which is awesome, but may be overwhelming. Haha
Mystery snails need 2.5 gallons of space per snail. I have one and he's in a divided tank with my female, they didn't get along. lol
Keep an airstone with the snails so they get oxygen.

C:

If you go to AppleSnail.net, you will find tons of great info on caring for your snails!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some bettas are ok with tankmates and others aren't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #4 
Andrewsmama

I think I may have been wrong about one of the mystery snails - he decided to prove that his antennae are still there, along with some other long thingy that I can only assume is male genitalia? He got a little frisky with my other snail for a couple hours today. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have snail babies on top of everything else!
Andrewsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #5 
BlueHaven

lol
Well that's good his antennae is still there!
The thing that sticks up towards the surface, it's shorter than his antennaes, is what they use to get air.
I forgot what it is called though...
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

They'll retract their antennae and hold them under their shell if they feel threatened by the fish. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote