Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #1 
lunawatsername

46 gal betta sorority?

soo.. i have been planning on making a 20g sorority tank for a while now. well, i just found a 46 gal for pretty cheap, and i think thats the way to go fro me. (it is still alot more money, but i think it could be worth it) so its a 46 gal bowfront, i believe the measurements are L36 D15 H20.

my question is, about how many betta females do you think i should put in their, that would make them happy and comfortable and minimize chance of fighting as much as possible?

ive read that most people that have had long term successful sororities usually like to get as many females as they can hold in their tank, so that the aggression is as spread out as possible. is that still the rule for a 46 gal? because going by some of the general "rules" ive read, i could keep about 30 females in the tank... but as soon as you get over a certain amount, does the aggression naturally subside a little, or is it less to do with numbers and more with space, or how often they see each other, or something else, in your opinion? i was also thinking of adding a bristlenosed pleco, maybe something else. any suggestions? (if i had to take out a couple bettas to make room for them that would be okay. i wanted to get some ADFs really bad, but the tank would be too high for them :/ oh well. im sure ill end up with more tanks ventually, then ADF here i come! (:< lol)

sorry for the convoluted questions, im just really excited, and at the same time i want to get the best setup possible for my girls :)

also, i know that no amount of planning on space or decor will really stop bettas being aggressive, i know they are naturally that way.and i know that no matter what i do i will most likely have at least a few girls that will have to be housed individually (especially if i do shoot for 30), because some bettas just arnt suited to communal living. but if i can stock or decorate in a way that makes it easier for them, i will definitely try my best :)

anyway, if you have any useful advise on this (the stocking questions, i know i ramble a lot... ) id love to hear it!
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

30 sounds like a lot to me. I have often read 2 gals. per girl so that would put you at 23 in a 46 gal. However, if you add other fish plus gravel & decor you may want to think on lowering that number - to maybe 17 or 19?

Just my idea! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #3 
lunawatsername

thank you! but i got in contact with the person who was selling it (it was on craigslist) and its already sold... so much for that :/ lol thanks for the reply though :)
Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

I only hope I can find a good deal on that size tank - I need a large sorority tank for when my spawns grow out! (for the non-aggressive females, no males of course)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #5 
lunawatsername

yea, i was going to get it for less than 100, but it was sold. then i was gonna get a 55 for 80$, but i really dont have the room... darn it :( i guess im back to the 20, if its still available.... oh well. it will still be awesome! :D