Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #1 
DearAmbellina

Exclamation Ate some algea pellets...sick??

My betta Otus was purchased about 2 weeks ago at petsmart (terrible place to get fish I have found) he has been lively, active, aggressive, everything a betta should be until yesterday. I had bought some algea pellet things for my corydoras, and dropped one in there. Otus ate most of it. His belly got really big, then today his coloring was very dull. I'm not sure if it was the pellets that made him sick/was bad for him? He's been really slow today and has a big ol' belly. He is soooo pale compared to normal. I noticed this when I switched them all into a new tank. (3 corydoras, 2 snails, 1 betta) Anyways...could it have been the algea? If so, is there a way to keep him from eating it, but allowing the corydoras to eat? I am worried about him! Much thanks!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons as of today
What temperature is your tank? 75-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Filter provides bubbles, also have 3 live plants.
Is your tank heated? No, doesn't need to be, the temp stays 75-80 all the time.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 snails, 3 corydoras

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley's betta bites or pellets or something can't remember exactly but it's wardleys
How often do you feed your betta fish?2 pellets in the morning 2 pellets at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Eh about 25 percent or so.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Bowl dechlorinator/conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.0
Hardness
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dull coloring, bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less aggressive and active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I'm not sure what to do for him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ?
DearAmbellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 
baylee767

TThe problem is he ate too much. Transfer him to a quarentine tank. Then add 1 tsp/gallon epsom salt (disolve it first as the grains will burn your Betta) make sure you use epsom as it is used to help with swelling. Give him daily water changes until his stomach has gone to normal. Don't feed him, and put no salt in your main tank as it will harm the scaless cories. Don't let the temp go above 80 in such times...

After that, when you feed your cory, put the Betta in something seperate. I personally just net mine and hang the net in the tank so he's still in the tank and wont eat too much. Remove the cory food before you let him back in.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #3 
copperarabian

I just put a divider in my aquarium because my HM king kept trying to eat my cichlid food after he gorged on them once.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #4 
DearAmbellina

Thank you for the help, I went to put the epsom salt in this morning and found that he had died :-[ He started doing this "gulping" thing last night, he'd come to the surface like bettas do, for air, then he'd put his whole head out of the water and open his mouth and gills and suck air in...it was the strangest thing. I wonder if maybe on top of over eating he had an allergic reaction as well, causing his gills to swell or something :-[
DearAmbellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #5 
baylee767

I'm sorry )=

If you get a new Betta, just be sure to keep him in a place where he can't get to other fishs food. I'm not sure what happened to Otus, but he definatly couldn't breath. R.I.P. Otus.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Awwe, sorry betta died D: Just a note those on the Wardleys betta pellets, they are rather large so pre-soak them in tank water prior to feeding, and dont feed any more than three a day, spread throughout the day. Just fyi, I used them on my betta, and found they were great for him, but were big. If after soaking them in tank water they look too big, just cut them in half.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote