Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #11 
Andrewsmama

Is it possible to have too bright of a light? The light in this tank seems much brighter than the other. I did put in a cave thingy this evening too. Hopefully, that will help...
Andrewsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #12 
Andrewsmama

Well, Blue is moving around more tonight - he's been hanging out at the bottom mostly and then swimming up for air, then back down again. He found the cave I put in and is hanging out in there right now. His fins are still close to his body, though. I'll just keep an eye on him, I guess...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

The more you test the water, the more accurate you'll become (the directions are so small in the guide, and sometimes read like the 'Hokey Pokey', lol).

You'll need to do frequent water changes as your five gallon cycles... the lack of nitrites and nitrates means it hasn't cycled yet.

This link will take you to a page that gives a good description of cycling and what to expect: http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html

How's that spot??????
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #14 
Andrewsmama

Thanks for the cycling info Here Fishy Fishy Fishy. Unfortunately, my little betta died this morning. :(
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #15 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear he passed. :(

You did everything you could for him... and I'm sure he knew it. He even appreciated the cave you got him. I sure that made him feel secure.

Since we didn't get a chance to full diagnose him and we don't know exactly what happened, I would highly reccomend draining the 5 gallon tank and sanitizing all contents (and throwing away the filteration material).

Here is a thread on sanitizing: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ght=sanitizing

There are some breeders on this board who always have bettas that are 'ready to go'... When you are ready to welcome another betta into your life, please check with them. People on this board care about the fry they raise, and you'll know they had a healthy start in life before they came to live with you.

Take care, and know you made your little buddy as comfortable as you could.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #16 
Andrewsmama

Thanks, HFFF - I now think he may have had fin rot - his tail fin started looking really ragged last night and worse this morning. He died before I had a chance to get some maracin to treat him. I still don't know what that white thing was...

I have already cleaned the tank and brought home a new betta this afternoon - I couldn't wait, the tank looked so sad and empty! He is sitting in his little cup, which is floating in the new water, acclimating to the temp.

I got this betta from a different pet store than before - all their bettas looked like they had clean water in their cups at least, no blue water or scum in the cups. This one looks really healthy - I checked him as well as I know how. No white spots on his body or dark edges to his fins or anything.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #17 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Yes - good luck to you and your new betta! Remember the five gallon will need to cycle, so keep an eye on your water quality :)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #18 
Cooks45

I just got 2 bettas I got them in a 3 gallon tank each I got bamboo in the tanks but one of them is not eatting he is red and had lots of white marks on his face and he only hangs out at the top of the tank the temp in the tank is 78F idk what to do help?
Cooks45 is offline   Reply With Quote