Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Help! Mouth.....Issues

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10g (5 gall for her)
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food, freeze driedbloodworms, flakes, live food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every few weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquarium salt, stress coat, water conditoner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Im not sure, but I did a 100% water change yesterday

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her mouth seems to kind of swelled up and turned like whiteish.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasnt at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? quite a while ago, like a few months but I thought it was going away, I guess not.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I havent yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? got her in december at my LPS.

I dont know...would it be a mouth fungus or a tumor? Sorry for the lack of pics, I can't get any right now but I PROMISE that I will have some by tomorrow. I know it may be hard to diagnose, but what you guys think it is until I get pics? Thanks!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 10g filtered tank with 2 Bettas (divided) and a snail with your listed water change schedule...I suspect water quality as the primary cause......I would start by making 50% water changes for 2 days then I would stay on a 50% twice a week until the nitrogen cycle establishes (4-8wks)...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate vacuuming- this time line could vary depending on how mature your filter media is and how you did your 100% water changes...if you have water testing products...test the water and post the numbers and I can tell you the cycle stage......Once the nitrogen cycle has established....50% weekly with vacuum should maintain water quality.......

The Betta with the mouth problem needs to be placed in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range and started on 100% daily water changes with Epsom salt 2tsp/gal for the next 10 days...if you have tannins to add all the better...either IAL or oak leaf will work

Is she still able to eat, if so, feed high protein diet small amount several times a day....you post that you feed live foods...what kind...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

On a 10g tank, water changes every few weeks really isn't enough. You should be doing at least a partial change once a week. Ammonia can build up.

What is in the other side of the divided tank?

Are you adding salt to the water for a specific reason? A healthy betta does not require any salt and giving salt on an ongoing basis may reduce its effectiveness when you do need to use it.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Are you adding salt to the water for a specific reason? A healthy betta does not require any salt and giving salt on an ongoing basis may reduce its effectiveness when you do need to use it.
Good catch Canuck Fins...I missed the salt being added......we need to know the answer to these......re: salt use
Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

Oh well there is another betta on the other side in perfect health and I feed mosquito larvae for live food. I understand that I need to keep up with the water changes, but I just did a 100% yesterday, do I need to do it again?!?! :( Ugh smaller tanks are so much easier.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If you have a filter you don't need to do 100% water changes- especially in a 10gal tank....I would do 50% for a couple of days to get the salt out and get the sick fish in QT to treat
Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Ok! Thanks.