Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 
Diana S

New tank algae

1 st thank you all !! You are wonderful for the posting about my betta and tank.
O.K I have ? Because the tanks is new.I already have algae in the fish tank.I don't think it's too much light.I think it's because I listen to my hubby and was not useing the filter.Water movement.My hubby said the betta's don't like water moving. ??So trun off.How do you control it ?Snails..not l likeing that, shrimp won't betta eat ? Thanks ~Diana
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of algae....what color, what is it on, does it rub off easy, how big is the tank, what kind of lights and how old are the bulbs, how long are the light on, does the tank get any direct sunlight, tank mates, water changes-how much and how often, any live plants, additives used....the filter is off all the time correct...so it has been removed from the tank....correct.....also-how long has the tank been setup/running.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
Diana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What kind of algae....what color, what is it on, does it rub off easy, how big is the tank, what kind of lights and how old are the bulbs, how long are the light on, does the tank get any direct sunlight, tank mates, water changes-how much and how often, any live plants, additives used....the filter is off all the time correct...so it has been removed from the tank....correct.....also-how long has the tank been setup/running.....
Hi ! It green and brown.It on some sword plants.And little on the back of the tank.It's 5 gal.No fish mates.Change half the water every two days.It's a new tanks 2 1/2 weeks
About.It was getting sunlight for about a half hour.But I put stop to that.I didn't know window sun was hitting it.The light is 50 wat flor blub.I trun on lights at about 7:30 am till about 10 at night. To much light ?Diana S
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #4 
Diana S

Here my other Walmart fish...the white lines are bubbles.2 1/2 week old tank and fish. Diana
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Both green and brown algae are normal part of aquarium keeping...with both light and nutrients provided it will grow...but in a closed system we as the hobbyist have to keep it under control.....

Your lights are on too long...10-12h/day with live plants and 8-10h/day without live plants, you need a different bulb in the 25w range and if I understand correctly you do have live plants....a sword plant...correct.....if so, look for a daylight light bulb in the 6500k range and no more than 25w for best plant growth

To control algae-get an algae scraper suited for your type of tank and manually remove it and then vacuum it out with your 50% weekly water changes....adding shrimp and/or snail can help to a degree but usually not enough to make a difference and algae removal is the hobbyist job anyway...lol....just part of fish keeping....laffs......but adding snail can help some with the algae on the plant leaves and if the algae is heavy on the plants leaves I would remove the affect leaf anyway.....with that said, I don't recommend adding other livestock unless you like or want them to start....adding other live stock to clean is not a good reason to add them IMO.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #6 
Diana S

Got scraper and do use.lol And can I ask ,am I over changing 50% of the water bye doing every two day.I make sure same tem. And add anti chor.Thanks ~Diana S
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

On a 5gal unfiltered tank with live plants as pictured with one Betta-I would make 50% weekly water changes...when you have more than just a few plants in the tank-the active plant growth will function as filtration using ammonia produced as plant food
Old 05-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #8 
Diana S

Quote:
On a 5gal unfiltered tank with live plants as pictured with one Betta-I would make 50% weekly water changes...when you have more than just a few plants in the tank-the active plant growth will function as filtration using ammonia produced as plant food
It has filter too.Just wasn't on .My husband told me Bettas don't like moving water.Now it's on and stay on.lol I'm hopeing plants go nuts in it.And help with healthy tank.Thank You ~Diana
Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Even with a filter...with live plants like what you have pictured....50% weekly is all you would need to do....don't over vacuum either.....
Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #10 
Diana S

Quote:
Even with a filter...with live plants like what you have pictured....50% weekly is all you would need to do....don't over vacuum either.....
Thanks so much for the info.Diana