Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #11 
turtle10

LOL. After reading up, I have decided against it. Yes, my males may be able to peacefully coexist, BUT I do believe the would be happiest on their own.

Not only that, but my tank is only 55, not 100, AND I don't want to worry all the time about the males beating each other up lol.

I would rather focus on aquascaping and arranging my tanks in the new place :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I really believe that bettas aren't meant to be community fish. Yes, some do quite well in a community tank but I think they are happiest by themselves. I think it would be very stressful for 2 males to try and coexist.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #13 
DarkMoon17

Agreed, males shouldn't be housed together as it will be stressful for them in their attempt to protect their own territories. However, females are naturally social. The only reason they show aggressiveness is because of the way they are raised. It is very easy to acclimate them to a community set up. At this moment I have one male and 3 imported females housed together in a 20 gallon. The water flow prevents them from breeding and after the first day when they established their hierarchy, they have not had any major scuffles. They just do the occasional stand off.

There are college/veterinary school studies showing that both males and females prefer to live in groups (males prefer to live with females over a solo life and females prefer living in groups) but I can't seem to find them. I'm not sure what key words I used last time... I'll see if I can't dig 'em up.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #14 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Agreed, males shouldn't be housed together as it will be stressful for them in their attempt to protect their own territories. However, females are naturally social. The only reason they show aggressiveness is because of the way they are raised. It is very easy to acclimate them to a community set up. At this moment I have one male and 3 imported females housed together in a 20 gallon. The water flow prevents them from breeding and after the first day when they established their hierarchy, they have not had any major scuffles. They just do the occasional stand off.

There are college/veterinary school studies showing that both males and females prefer to live in groups (males prefer to live with females over a solo life and females prefer living in groups) but I can't seem to find them. I'm not sure what key words I used last time... I'll see if I can't dig 'em up.
I would love to read those studies, they sound really interesting. If you find them you should definitely post a link or something.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #15 
DarkMoon17

I will definitely send the link if I can find them again :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Those studies sound very interesting.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

I have 2 males and 13 females (siblings) in a 30 gallon. I have had spawning in the tank but other than that they live together quite peacefully.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

turtle10,

I love your avatar pix of the two snails...

I had guppies in my sorority, but after the unfortunate death of my preganant female (and the feasting thereon by some of the bettas in the sorority), I moved her mate out. The bettas had gained a taste for guppy... and he was alone.

Until that moment, the guppies had been accepted by the bettas, and they had never been harassed. The male never even got a nip in his spectacular tail.

Once the bettas (who are carnivores) eat another species or there are major changes in the tank, the dynamics of the community shift.

I don't think I'll add anymore guppies to this community. As for the lone male guppy, he's in a split 5 gal with my monster betta girl on the other side. He's doing fine.

Congrats on the 55 gal! :)
That will be some tank, can't wait to see your set-up!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #19 
turtle10

Hmm, then do you think when the bettas start to eat guppy fry (because they WILL have more babies, ugh, not my choice lol) they will try to eat/attack the adult guppies? Because so far the male, who has been with the guppies for like 3 months now, has been fine around them. I even managed to rescue three fry and I raised them and put them back with the male and the guppies when they where only about half an inch long, but the guppies and male treated them like part of the "community" lol.

Two of those fry ended up being male guppies so the male betta I guess was slowly acclimated to the male presence as they grew and that is why they don't fight, but I may be wrong. Their tails started showing the male flowy-ness about two-three weeks ago and for about a week now have been developing iridescence. They will probably look like full blown males in about two weeks, so we will see then.

So far everyone is getting along. The male will occasionally chase the females and flare at them, but they never lose color or develop stress stripes, it is almost like they are flirting. It has been less than a week though so I am still keeping a very sharp eye on them, I know everything can change in an instance.

The females are having fun schooling with the guppies though, and the male looks like he is patrolling the tank. The cories just swim around goofily, and I never see my tiger pleco. Snails are fine, as are the few shrimp. The shrimp have gotten so big, a full two inches and bright, bright red.

Will post pics soon, hopefully today.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #20 
smellsfishie

I was about to start a thread similar to this after visiting my local fish store today where I was shocked to see this ~30 gallon tank with lots of male guppies, 2 female bettas, and a gorgeous peach male betta! I never knew this could happen successfully... The male was completely ignoring the females... and the guppies!

:D

I've never mixed males and females but in my personal experience with male bettas, i find my guys are happier in a community tank that is not TOO busy but has some movement. When I keep my males solo they tend to get a little bored I think. Even adding a snail to the tank perks their interest. :)

smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote