Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 
roypattonphoto

can you?

So I've read that u should take plants out of the pots when u buy potted aquarium plants...however, can u leave them? It'd sure make organizing a planted tank better lol... I ask cuz I'm going to prob plant my 5g hex that has my new HM on next water change... was thinking a couple tall potted plants and some dwarf grass should should do the trick for him...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Dwarf grass is a fungus. I saw some at Petsmart and that's exactly what my mom said. She said if it was submerged it would take over the entire tank. I'd go with Lucky Bamboo (which can be kept in the same little pot) along with maybe some floating java moss?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
roypattonphoto

i have that dwarf grass in my planted 10g now .. 3 bundles of it ... we'll see lol...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #4 
roypattonphoto

My main question is thoug, leaving it in the pot, its not gonna hurt the plant right? I mean plat already has roots coming out the wholes on th plastic thing soo I could jut dump in the soil and go for it... just like they do and the farm
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

What? How would a grass be a fungus? Can you find a picture of what you're talking about? :/

[edit] I have a cryptocorine that I couldn't get the pot off, so I just left it and it's still alive and looking good months later. So for at least that species, it seems to be okay, although it doesn't look very good. :l
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #6 
roypattonphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
What? How would a grass be a fungus? Can you find a picture of what you're talking about? :/

[edit] I have a cryptocorine that I couldn't get the pot off, so I just left it and it's still alive and looking good months later. So for at least that species, it seems to be okay, although it doesn't look very good. :l
did u bury the pot or just leave it sitting above substrate? i was thinking of just putting it in and covering them with substrate lol
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #7 
denaliwind

Grass isn't a fungus. However, most grasses require a lot more maintenance then some of the easier to care for aquatic plants. Most grasses require a rich substrate, not just gravel, but something mineral rich. Also most grasses flourish in high lighting and CO2 rich water. I'm no expert of plants, but from learning about aquascaping, that is what I've gathered about grasses, I dream of having grasses in my tanks... I just need the money and the right set up to do so. However, I do think dwarf hairgrass is one of the easier grasses to care for. Lucky Bamboo isn't an aquatic plant, it's not even a true bamboo, from what I've read. Also, some of the low maintenance plants do just fine being left in the baskets. I know some members put plants in shot glasses in the tanks so that they can move them around for water changes. There's also things like this used to protect roots and allow for mobility, but it's a more expensive option.

Last edited by denaliwind; 05-10-2011 at 11:18 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote