Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #1 
Kiere

Exclamation Lathargic Fishy..

I impulse bought a betta (Orville) at a pet store that was closing, about a week ago. After purchasing I got a crash course on how the tank/setup I bought was terrible (was about 1 quart no heater, filter or hiding places) so upgraded him to 1 gallon fish hotel

, toms mini filter, 10w heater, plant bulb, leaf hammock. He loved it would only swim in the windows and lounged in the leaf hammock all the time. The past two days he has been clamped up and laying on the bottom of the tank and avoiding the windows on the tank when not on the bottom. Today I went to feed him and he only ate two of his three pellets and won't flare if I put a mirror up to the tank. I haven't been doing water changes since I started used the filter. Could this be my problem? I thought that was the whole point of the filter... Any advice would be helpful thanks!

Housing

What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? Yes Tom Mini Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Betta Bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Haven't for 4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqua Safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? seems less color around his face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hiding and not responding when I come around.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? young adult?
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #2 
newbie32

You should do the water changes. That will probably help. You should look at the betta care sticky in this forum. I believe there are 3 or 4 to choose from. That will let you know how much of the water you should change and when.
Also, you may be feeding your fish too much. 6 pellets seems a little much. Someone else with more experience, please chime in if I'm wrong.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 
bettafish15

3 pellets twice a day is WAYYYY too much, for starters. Also in a 1.5g you need to do water changes at least twice a week of 50 to 100%, filter or no filter. The best amount to feed him would be just 3 pellets a day, no more than that, a bettas stomach is the size of his eye ;) The temp could be boosted a couple degrees up btw, 75 is a bit chilly.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 
Blaze54

Please take no offense in this,but 6 pellets is quite a bit! I'd say maybe 2-3 pellets a day would be good.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #5 
iheartmybettas

I would start out with a 100% water change today. Like bettafish15 said you should do a minimum of 2 water changes a week with the size tank you have. Make sure at least 1 is a 100% water change. Is the heater adjustable? I would increase it to 78. He may also be cold. All of my bettas get 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the evening (except the king male and giant which get a little more).
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #6 
Kiere

Exclamation

Ok Thanks for the advice! I already did a partial water change. Hopefully that is all I needed to do. He already seems happier. I will do a full water change tonight. Just wondering what builds up in the water that makes this necessary? Water changes make me nervous is all. Scared of shocking the fish. Since I have the water heated what is the best way to add water without doing this? Or are betta fish more resilient than I think?

As for the 6 pellets, I was just going off the food directions. They say 2-4 pellets 2-3 times a day... So I figured 3 twice a day was in the middle.

As for the heater, it is automatically set to 78 but my thermometer on the tank says around 75... Maybe look into getting a different heater as well?

Thanks again for your advice
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #7 
newbie32

ammonia and nitrites will build up and hurt or maybe kill your fish. you can siphon the water out of your tank and that is relatively calm for your fish. i take my fish out and put him in the container i bought him and do the water change. when the water is at the same temp as before, i just put the cup in the water and let him swim out. he was pretty stressed when i did it, but i'm hoping he will get used to it. i'm still trying to think of other ways to do a less stressful water change.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #8 
Blaze54

You should almost never listen to the instructions on the fish food container/bag. But that was an honest mistake. Like the classic:"Awww he's lonely"*puts another male betta in**comes back 10 min. later*"What!?!?!? there dead!!!!!!"
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #9 
Kiere

So Orville is still acting sickly after a 100% water change. After doing more research I have realized when I bought him he had fin rot to begin with. (I thought that was just his coloring) But still doesn't explain his lack of energy. I don't think it could be the temperature hanging around 75-76 because before he had the heater he would happily swim around.

Going to start with adding sea salt for the fin rot but any other recommendations as to drops I should try? Wondering if he has a bacterial infection? Any suggestions on further treatment possibilities would be greatly appreciated..

He only swam to the top to eat and then back to the bottom he went...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #10 
bettafish15

Ah... don't add sea salt, add API's Aquarium Salt. Seasalt will kill your betta, and there IS a difference between the two :P Just fyi.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote