Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #1 
newbie32

From Plastic to Real?

I've got a 10 gal with a betta and an Inca snail. Thus far all I have is a castle and 3 plastic plants. I was thinking of switching to real plants. My tank is not cycled. Can I put in the real plants without freaking out my betta too badly? Also, will my snail devour my plants?

If real plants are a go, can someone point me to a forum or website of some sort with care information. I don't want to mess up my plants or compromise by betta!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 
SomeDudeAtHome

If your tank is not fully cycled the real plants would be great. They use ammonia as a main nutrient plus soak up other toxins that can harm your betta. I highly suggest you by as many lives plants as you would like. Ones to check out are Anubius, Java fern, and depending on the size of your tank crypts or swords. www.tropicalfishkeeping.com has great plant information. Also a member of the forum (which you can access with this screen name) Byron knows a lot about plants. There is a tab across the top in blue that says tropical fish profiles about also has plants.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Anubias and java fern are nice but they really wont use much ammonia as they grow pretty slow. what you want are stem plants such as Annacharis, Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Creeping Jenny, Hygrophila, plants like those... lemme find the link to that easy plant guide on here....

Ah! =] Here it is. That guide will tell you which plants grow quickly (most of them btw) and which specifically are ammonia busters. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 05-09-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: needed to add a link. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #4 
denaliwind

In addition to the above, floating plants are wonderful too. I have dwarf water lettuce and that stuff does so well and grows so fast. My bettas like building nests underneath and between them too. :)
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

^^^ Oh yes! XD How did I forget floaters? XD

Water Sprite and Annacharis double as floaters.

Other floaters include Frogbit, and Red Root Floater. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #6 
newbie32

So, I can just add these plants and it's no big deal? Excellent! Anyone know where you can buy these plants?
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote