Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #1 
SilverMagic

I'm still very worried.

A couple people here have given me some great advice and I'm thankful for that but I'm terribly worried about my new betta. I have him in a 5 gallon tank, put him in there before I read all this stuff about cycling. I'm realizing now that this tank is going to go through a cycling process with him living in it and that it could be dangerous for him. I agree with the suggestions I received to do a 50% water change twice a week, every 3 days or so until the tank is cycled. I also read here that a 50% twice weekly water change is also what is recommended for a betta in a larger than 2.5 gallon tank. So am I treating this situation just like a betta in an unfiltered tank or could things get more dangerous than that in regards to ammonia or nitrite levels???

Will my fish be safe enough with twice weekly 50% water changes while the filter is running and the thank is cycling? My fish is too beautiful to be hurt or damaged so I am panicking. Thanks for your help.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMagic View Post
A couple people here have given me some great advice and I'm thankful for that but I'm terribly worried about my new betta. I have him in a 5 gallon tank, put him in there before I read all this stuff about cycling. I'm realizing now that this tank is going to go through a cycling process with him living in it and that it could be dangerous for him. I agree with the suggestions I received to do a 50% water change twice a week, every 3 days or so until the tank is cycled. I also read here that a 50% twice weekly water change is also what is recommended for a betta in a larger than 2.5 gallon tank. So am I treating this situation just like a betta in an unfiltered tank or could things get more dangerous than that in regards to ammonia or nitrite levels???

Will my fish be safe enough with twice weekly 50% water changes while the filter is running and the thank is cycling? My fish is too beautiful to be hurt or damaged so I am panicking. Thanks for your help.
Cycling isnt imperative to bettas, though its certainly a good thing to do. If you do not want to cycle, you dont have to. If youre really worried, you can do 100% changes during the week, which will put a damper on the cycle.

Dont stress, dont stress :P

50% x2 a week is okay. If you can, monitor your ammonia/nitrate and nitrtie levels with a liquid test kit.

If you would like, I have a fish-in cycling PM that I send to members after a member needed help cycling her 5 gallon. I can send it to you. Its in simple terms and is easy to understand.

If youre really nervous, try:

50% x2, 25%x1

Ex:
Monday (assuming a clean slate, after a 100% change for simplicity)...tues.....Wed 50%...Thurs....Friday 25%...sat...sun 50%...Monday...Tues(maybe a 25%? up to you)...proceed like before, keeping it the same.

The filter in your tank means no 100% changes are needed. Be sure to siphon the bottom to get rid of unwanted poop, etc.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #3 
SilverMagic

Thank you. I definitely want to avoid the 100% water changes as I do not want to stress out the fish and I do want the tank to cycle but without any harm to the fish. If frequent water changes will accomplish that then that is what I want to do. So anywhere from a 50% water change twice a week to alternating from a 50% to 25% water change every other day, depending on ammonia and nitrite levels, that sounds good. I'll buy a test kit too. I would like to receive that pm message, anything that helps me learn more is good. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 
dannic

PewPewPew, I was just wondering the same thing for my new 20 gallon tank...would you pm me also? We're ordering a betta asap for ds. TIA (and sorry to hijack, OP)
dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

^ this is an acceptable hijack, haha ;) Ill send. It might have some less or completely irrelevant details (as it was also sent to another member originally) but the gist is the same :B
Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #6 
scootshoot

I cycled my 15 gallon with 5 female bettas. Also did the fish in cycle with my male in the 5 gallon. 4+ months later both tanks are cycled, haven't lost any fish and all are thriving....

Just do 50 pct water changes every other day as the tank is cycling to keep the toxic levels under control and you will be fine.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #7 
SilverMagic

Thank you all very much for your replies. I'm no longer worried. I bought a couple of test kits today, one liquid test for ammonia levels and a strip test kit for monitoring nitrite and nitrate levels so I will use those to help me determine how often to do water changes. I also wrote down instructions and put them on my refrigerator based on all your advice. It's nice to know that it is OK to cycle a tank with a betta living in it as long as water changes are frequent enough. It's kind of like keeping a betta in a container without filtration for a temporary period of time. Just gotta keep it clean. Magic (that's his name) is still very active and feisty so he must be doing well.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Im glad to hear that. Be careful of the strips, though- strips of all kinds are inaccurate. The liquid is best. Its good your ammonia will be very accurate!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #9 
Sakura8

SilverMagic, my betta is cycling my tank for me and as long as you change the water frequently, he'll be fine. As PewPewPew said, cycling isn't imperative for bettas because they usually live in smaller tanks where cycling is impractical. What's most important is the water changes. Also, if you are really worried, you can forget completely about cycling and just do what you can to keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate down. Guess what? Your tank will still cycle, just very, very slowly. But the purpose of cycling is to establish a biofilter to take care of the ammonia etc so you don't have to perform as many water changes, which do the exact same thing: take care of the ammonia. Do I make sense? (I'm not sure, I tend to babble incoherently . . .)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #10 
Sakura8

PewPewPew, I'm curious, what makes the strips more inaccurate? I actually wonder if I'm being just as inaccurate with my liquid drops tests because I have such a gosh-darn hard time trying to match the colors.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote