Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #11 
Kiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Ah... don't add sea salt, add API's Aquarium Salt. Seasalt will kill your betta, and there IS a difference between the two :P Just fyi.
Yes, that is what I referring too sorry..
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

In a 1.5gal filtered tank-I would make twice week water changes of 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate cleaning with a vacuum or stir and dip method.....

Right now I would start making 50% daily water changes for 2-3 days and see if this would perk him up

Try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water with the water changes and use a good dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank with the replacement water

If possible up the water temp just a bit to 78F and see if that will help any

Do you have access to any live food like mosquito larva...

Can you post a pic of the fins and give more detail and to understand....he is a new fish that started to become lethargic but still eats and maybe some fin rot...correct.....you just did a 100% water change after 4 days in the new tank and he continues to be lethargic....right.....

If you decide to go ahead and start a salt treatment I would move him to a smaller QT container that can be floated in a heated tank...use 1tsp/gal to start along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #13 
Kiere

Yesterday I did a 50% water change this morning I did 100% water change always while using a terta water conditioner.

I am planning on returning the current heater for an adjustable temp one when I make the trip to the pet store for aquarium salt, water test kit, frozen blood worms, and possibly some maracin 1 & maracin 2 or another drop that would be recommended.

Here are the pictures that I could manage to take of the fins. They mainly are ragged looking with black tips. It is hard to see since he is always clamped up on the bottom hiding the tank which doesn't really help for photographing.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #14 
Kiere

So Orville's health record purchased exactly a week ago, went through tank upgrades from pint, quart, and then too the gallon tank with heater, and filter on last Thursday seemed happy. Saturday mainly hung out on his leaf hammock but still acting normal. Sunday just hug out on the bottom of the tank, Monday did a 50% water change still no change and then today 100% water change. Today I can see his gills flaring when breathing, loss of color around face, only comes to the surface to eat... hope this is what you were looking for..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #15 
Kiere

Update:

So after my trip to the petstore I came back with aquarium salt, blood worms, ammonia test kit, new heater, and Betta Revive ( currently unsure if I will use)

The ammonia test kit gave a reading between .5-1 which I found odd since I had just done a full water change, I had some water that I hadn't put in the tank but had treated and it too had the same ammonia reading, which leads me to think the water conditioner (Tetra Aqua Safe) was not helping reduce the ammonia problem... So I will be heading to the pet store to choose a different one in the morning since they are closed. Any recommendations on that would be helpful.

The water is now a balmy 78-79 with the new heater, and Orville has perked up a bit but, still returns to the bottom often.

After I get new water conditioner I will do 100% water change with the addition of the Aquarium salt and hopefully he will be able to pull through..

Thanks for helping!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Check your tap water for ammonia......

Good that he perked up some......

Sometimes it can take a couple of days....
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #17 
Kiere

Today Orville is thankfully swimming, eating, and using his hammock(so cute how did I not know they did this?). This morning I did a full water change with Aquarium salt and Prime water conditioner. I plan on continuing the water change with the salt for the next 5 days. Is this the right course of action?

The new marineland heater I purchased is unfortunately preset to 78 like my last one but, instead of running a bit on the cool side the marineland if left unattended will rocket to 85-86 so I have been unplugging once the tank reaches 80. After reading some treads I ordered the Hagen Elite mini 25w. None of the pet stores carry it so I will continue my unplug method until the new one arrives. Then return the one I just bought, thanks to petsmart's awesome return policy : )

Thankfully I will be able to get some work done today since it is hard when there is a sick fish looking at you on your desk. Thanks again for all your advice!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #18 
iheartmybettas

Sick fish can be a lot of work but it is worth it to see them get better. You are doing a great job. The Elite heater is awesome and will be perfect for your tank. Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about Orville's recovery!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #19 
Kiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Check your tap water for ammonia......

Good that he perked up some......

Sometimes it can take a couple of days....
My plain tap water when tested seems to be right around a 1.0 if not even a little higher... Tested the new water and also is around 1.0 is this something I should be concerned about?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for tap water to have ammonia, however, you may want to get a dechlorinator like Prime that covers ammonia since your source water may be part of the problem......but don't be surprised if the test still show ammonia...usually it is ammonium and harmless to the fish....