Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #1 
kara13

Bettas compatible with what fish??

Hi, I recently bought a 5-gal. tank and I want to have a betta in it. What other fish could I put in?
kara13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:44 AM   #2 
aquathena

Bettas can be territorial and aggressive, so keeping fish with long fins or bright colors may be considered a threat.
aquathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #3 
nvmyluv420

i have my betta in a tank with 5 feeder fish that were never eaten in my 55 gal. and an african dwarf frog, and a chinese algea eater (eventually hell get to big for my ten gal.). he chases all the other fish but leaves the adf and algea eater alone. there are some algea eaters who stay small enough to keep perminetley in a small tank. in a 5 gal i wouldnt put too many fish because like aquathina said they are territorial and if they dont have enough room to spare they will ripe the fins off the other fish. also they like to get themselves in tight places so if you have a hiding place for the betta besides plants youll probally do just fine. i really suggest reading up on african dwarf frogs, they are so fun to watch and will do fine in a small tank with your betta. they do require a heater though. also the age/ size of a betta has a lot to do with how aggressive its going to be.
nvmyluv420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #4 
leifthebunny

I've got freshwater clams, threadfin rainbows and harlequin rasboras with one of my bettas and purple passion danios and penguin tetras with another and only one minor incident. Both tanks have clown plecos for algae control and one had a farlowella cat for a brief period. I would recommend that if you do decide on inverts, avoid shrimp. Bettas love attacking shrimp. :(
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #5 
Falina

My personal recommendation would be not to put any other fish in it as the tank is small. If this were my tank I would put 2-3 snails in with him/her if you don't want to have just the one fish in it.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #6 
nvmyluv420

leifthebunny... how big is your tank??? snails are boring it seems like you want some fun in your tank agian i recommend the african dwarf frog. they wont move like fish and the betta will only have one curios nip before the frog gets its claws on it, but dont worry the claws wont do any damage but it will warn the betta. plus betta pellets sit on the top where the betta is and frog pellets sink to the bottom where the frog is.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #7 
leifthebunny

Both of my bettas are in 12g tanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #8 
nvmyluv420

oh ok so your like me, i think its so wrong to have them in anything smaller than a ten gal. some people say bettas dont apply to the inch to gal. rule. when i adopted mine he was in a 2.5 gal tank and i though it was just crule. now hes happy in my 10, though he doesnt usually come out of his special spot.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #9 
leifthebunny

It depends on the betta. There are some bettas that just prefer to be in smaller tanks.