Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
MissKLC

New Betta Owner, Help IDing?

Hi I recently got two betta's, and I need help identifying type and color pattern etc.

One is in a 5g heated, filtered, planted aquarium, and one in a 20g, heated, filtered, aerated, planted aquarium.

I've been researching heavily and reading tons of books on betta's, aquatic plants, tropical fish, and freshwater aquariums. I'm seriously appalled at the pet industry and how uniformed and down right wrong about fish, ( I was told I could put 5 black moors and a school of neon tetra's in a 5 gallon... I knew better but what about an ignorant not so avid aquarist?)
My tanks are Cycled (fishless and with safestart) and the temperatures are 78, ph 7.4 ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates less that 5ppm ( Supposedly good if you have plants and don't want algae...)

Well I'll stop rambling...

Vlad lol
Vladimir is the main one in question, I assumed he was a standard veil-tail, I got him from a small whole in the wall (kinda shady) pet store I found in Cleveland. He was in a big tank by himself swimming so we could make sure he was healthy and he looked... significantly better... than the other bettas in the cups.. I'm worried they weren't even alive...
But, He was and he's is so cute (rather standard but cute).
However he was more expensive than the other bettas and his tail is fatter and more spade like (if you fill in the visual gap with his fin nipping that happened sometime before we got him)
Also a few of the sites I've been to and books i've read make me think he might be delta, or some kind of off delta since they are apparently hard to perfect. (he now has a huge bubblenest right there)

My other boy was an unexpected petco purchase, I've always loved crowntails I'm I'm pretty sure he's just a crowntail, he's really small though, like half the size of Vlad (will he grow) He's SO FIESTY, and flares at my camera, He's got a 20g all to himself and because he was there first and he's aggressive it's sorta ruined my plans for a community tank.... but he was soo beautiful I had to.

Thanks everyone for any help! I'm really hoping to be active here to learn a lot and provide the best life I can for these beautiful fish.
MissKLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I think Vlad's a veil tail. Delta tails look kind of like a triangle, like a delta :) He could(?) be a spade tail, I cant tell, but I doubt it.

The other guy's a crowntail, yes!

They look great, and very happy.

We hope to see lots and lots of pics and hear many good stories. Welcome!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Very pretty boys, and what great setups! I'm sure your CT loves having all that room to himself!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #4 
MissKLC

Oops I forgot, the Crowntail is Azathoth
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #5 
babyk

So I'm still trying to get the hang of tail typing too but I think he looks like a veil tail.
My veil tail, Mr. Mustache, looks like that when he has his tail opened.

http://bubblesandbettas.blogspot.com...ail-types.html
I look at stuff like this a lot to help me :)

Ohh &&&&I LOVE your Vaporeon ;) <3
babyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #6 
hodgepodgen

Nice fishie. And Vaporeon :3
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #7 
MissKLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyk View Post
So I'm still trying to get the hang of tail typing too but I think he looks like a veil tail.
My veil tail, Mr. Mustache, looks like that when he has his tail opened.

http://bubblesandbettas.blogspot.com...ail-types.html
I look at stuff like this a lot to help me :)

Ohh &&&&I LOVE your Vaporeon ;) <3
Hahaha Thanks, I've had that vaporeon since pokemon first came out in the US, I was in like 3rd grade..maybe 5th (21 now), I recently found a bunch of my figures and I'm trying to find more, ( I have a dratini and dragonair somewhere I want to be in my other tank)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #8 
Neil D

Hey, if you want a community tank, but the CT in the 5g and the VT in the 20. Goodluck!!!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #9 
Bettabubble3

vaporeon<3 haha i love pokemon. i even got the new game black and white :p
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #10 
babyk

I got the new game too! I got Black:)

anyway! After I saw your vaporeon I totally started looking for some of mine...no luck yet:(
Im 20 and STILL love pokemon. Just the cutest little things...well not the new ones so much.
babyk is offline   Reply With Quote