Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Horrible unfortunate water change day

Seriously....My little rant here I guess...but...

I am having a horrible unlucky water change day.....I have officially given up until later today... maybe....

It all started out with the water change on the 2 gallon critter keeper...I am fishsitting for my sister...I don't have the cup he came in..and I didn't want to use anything that was cleaned with soaps.. so I was using the mug in his tank to keep him in until I rinsed the tank and de-clorinated its new water. I placed the critter keepers lid over top the mug so that he could not jump out..It was also not all the way full...however..I made his water a little too warm..so I floated a sandwich bag of ice in the critter keepers water to lower the temperature.

while that was cooling down I started on my 10 gallon...Got my jugs filled up siphoned out the water vacuumed the sand... rearranged my plants....all of that...came back to the counter to check water temp on critter carrier..perfect!right at the perfect temperature!

I look over to grab the mug...OMG the lid somehow fell sideways off the mug and he is missing out of the mug! I found him on the counter..Put him into the critter keeper and he sank to the bottom.... He laid there for a good 5-10 minutes moving his little mouth and gills fast...and I felt awful...really really awful....I have added some IAL into his water and his fin looked a bit torn at the ends so I will add a little aquarium salt as well...I feel really horrible ...He seems to be swimming around a little more right now...I am still worried about the little guy though.

After treating his water will some IAL to help him relax ..I get back to my 10 gallon...plug everything back in....nothing....the filter isn't working......I clean it out....take it apart as much as I can...put it back together....nothing......it's completely dead this filter....I wont have any money until tomorrow unfortunately..........

I still have water changes to do on my 5 and my other 10 gallon....

.I am now officially sitting here with my tea...taking a break until later...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Dang the luck.......how old is your filter and what kind is it....I know with some of my filters I have to use a chopstick to clean the impeller- due to my hard water the mineral deposits build up and bind it.....I stick the chopstick in it and give it a turn or two and then use the sprayer on the sink to blow it out some and this has got them going again and some of mine are well over 15 years....lol......

I have found one of my Bettas stuck on the curtains after jumping out and I have had several that jumped that was out of water for an hour and recovered after a day or so.....water changes, salt 1tsp/gal and tannins from oak leaf or IAL...did wonders for recovery......

Also, if you think the item has soap..use a vinegar rinse and warm running water rinse for the vinegar..this will cut any soap residue...but honestly the soap residue on dishes is not enough to cause any problems........

Good luck.....relax and enjoy your tea......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-11-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #3 
Diana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Seriously....My little rant here I guess...but...

I am having a horrible unlucky water change day.....I have officially given up until later today... maybe....

It all started out with the water change on the 2 gallon critter keeper...I am fishsitting for my sister...I don't have the cup he came in..and I didn't want to use anything that was cleaned with soaps.. so I was using the mug in his tank to keep him in until I rinsed the tank and de-clorinated its new water. I placed the critter keepers lid over top the mug so that he could not jump out..It was also not all the way full...however..I made his water a little too warm..so I floated a sandwich bag of ice in the critter keepers water to lower the temperature.

while that was cooling down I started on my 10 gallon...Got my jugs filled up siphoned out the water vacuumed the sand... rearranged my plants....all of that...came back to the counter to check water temp on critter carrier..perfect!right at the perfect temperature!

I look over to grab the mug...OMG the lid somehow fell sideways off the mug and he is missing out of the mug! I found him on the counter..Put him into the critter keeper and he sank to the bottom.... He laid there for a good 5-10 minutes moving his little mouth and gills fast...and I felt awful...really really awful....I have added some IAL into his water and his fin looked a bit torn at the ends so I will add a little aquarium salt as well...I feel really horrible ...He seems to be swimming around a little more right now...I am still worried about the little guy though.

After treating his water will some IAL to help him relax ..I get back to my 10 gallon...plug everything back in....nothing....the filter isn't working......I clean it out....take it apart as much as I can...put it back together....nothing......it's completely dead this filter....I wont have any money until tomorrow unfortunately..........

I still have water changes to do on my 5 and my other 10 gallon....

.I am now officially sitting here with my tea...taking a break until later...
Well I hope he fine.It would freak me out too.Diana S
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Dang the luck.......how old is your filter and what kind is it....I know with some of my filters I have to use a chopstick to clean the impeller- due to my hard water the mineral deposits build up and bind it.....I stick the chopstick in it and give it a turn or two and then use the sprayer on the sink to blow it out some and this has got them going again and some of mine are well over 15 years....lol......

I have found one of my Bettas stuck on the curtains after jumping out and I have had several that jumped that was out of water for an hour and recovered after a day or so.....water changes, salt 1tsp/gal and tannins from oak leaf or IAL...did wonders for recovery......

Also, if you think the item has soap..use a vinegar rinse and warm running water rinse for the vinegar..this will cut any soap residue...but honestly the soap residue on dishes is not enough to cause any problems........

Good luck.....relax and enjoy your tea......
This filter is only about 6 months old...It is a aquatech 10-20...but...I have this horrible fine fluffy sand that has been clouding my water and floating around...I wouldn't be surprised if it done this filter in...
I have been procrastinating what kind of substrate to switch to...Kind of in between a small river type gravel or some pool filter sand or something else in between.....Not much for fish stores in my area unfortunately...He seems to be doing a little better...I offered him a bloodworm and he ate it. He looks a little mopey but I think he will be ok...I noticed on the top of his back there looks to be some white slime hanging off him..I am guessing that is his slime coating though? Or the water conditioner...I used stress coat with aloe...
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

How is he doing now? I accidently knocked Fernando onto the floor about a year or so ago and it scared the heck out of me. I scooped him off of the carpet and put him in clean water and he was fine. It's amazing how resilient bettas are.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
How is he doing now? I accidently knocked Fernando onto the floor about a year or so ago and it scared the heck out of me. I scooped him off of the carpet and put him in clean water and he was fine. It's amazing how resilient bettas are.
He is doing pretty well! His fins are still a little ripped at the ends..I am just keeping up with water change/aquarium salt...They should heal up in no time!

That night my filter started working! haha
I left it plugged in and it was making no sounds...even while I poured water into it...but it was holding water? so I left it plugged in just incase it decided to work..and it did....I was sitting at the kitchen table about an hour later after trying to get it to work again.. and all of a sudden it starting making sounds and it worked..
I will be buying a back up though...I think this one may be about to completely go soon...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #7 
Diana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
He is doing pretty well! His fins are still a little ripped at the ends..I am just keeping up with water change/aquarium salt...They should heal up in no time!

That night my filter started working! haha
I left it plugged in and it was making no sounds...even while I poured water into it...but it was holding water? so I left it plugged in just incase it decided to work..and it did....I was sitting at the kitchen table about an hour later after trying to get it to work again.. and all of a sudden it starting making sounds and it worked..
I will be buying a back up though...I think this one may be about to completely go soon...
I use sand too.But for live plants.My filter did the same thing.I run and got 3 more.I reading your post..Then recheck my filters .Funny clean them out.Now they WORK !!So now I have 3 back ups.My olders ones are not even a month old.I'm going to be looking for a spong to cover them.Panty hose right now.I'm really new at this . Diana
Oh, PS I'm glad the Betta doing better.
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote