Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

you could also get a critter keeper..They go up to 4-5 gallons..I have my one betta in a 3 gallon critter keeper and he loves it. It was around 11 dollars at petco.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #12 
pumpkinspikepie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
you could also get a critter keeper..They go up to 4-5 gallons..I have my one betta in a 3 gallon critter keeper and he loves it. It was around 11 dollars at petco.
My female is in a 3g, and my male is (for now) in a 5g Critter Keeper and they're both doing well!
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #13 
laughing

Ok, this is my female's current set-up:

Name:  kaidastank.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  13.8 KB

And speaking of Kritter Keepers, I used one, too. It was the 2 gallon one. But it definitely goes larger for only a couple dollars more. There's a Whisper 3i filter that I LOVE (and have two of!) for about $10-$12. So $10 for 3 gallon keeper and $12 for a filter isn't that bad. It would just be harder to get the light in for your betta. So you'd have to place it somewhere where light is whether it be a room light or sunlight. (Not direct sun!)

These are all the same decorations as the other tank in here for her. I like the Kritter Keepers because they come with a little hole in it, too, so the filter cords can come out while the lid stays on. Plus, it has a feeder part, too.

Name:  kritterkeeper.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  78.3 KB
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #14 
cadi731

For my betta, I got one of those Aqua Culture Aquarium sets at Walmart. It was somewhere around $25-$30. I love it, and so does he. It comes with everything you need, except for the heater.

Walmart sells a Tetra brand heater though, for $14. I got a 2-15 gallon one, since I have a 5 gallon. It does pretty well, I think. It keeps the tank about about 76 on cold days, and 78-82 on hot days.

As far as bottom coverage goes, I have gravel, pebbles, and marbles. xD I think it looks pretty. The gravel can be a pain though. If you can, I'd stick with just pebbles. I got a baggy of them from Walmart for like, $6. It was enough to cover my old 2.5 gallon's bottom, so if you do get a 5 gallon and decide on pebbles, I'd suggest 3 or 4 baggies of them. The dollar store probably has some for loads cheaper though.

I'd get a silk plant, instead of a plastic one. My poor boy tore his tail on his old plastic ones. I got him a big silk one, and he loves it. :3
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

Here's a great 5 gallon tank (though the price did go up by 3 dollars).

It has a good filter on it too.

The reason earlier posters said that you would probably like the 2.5, 3, or 5 gallons better is because 2 gallons and under are more difficult to heat, and you can't cycle them so you have to do lots of 100% changes. At least weekly but often it's better to do more.

If you have 2 gallons or under you should do 100% changes every other day or at least large partials (like 75%) every other day and then 100% weekly changes.

If you have a 2.5 gallon or up though you can cycle it and do once weekly 50% changes or twice weekly 25% changes. Both are much easier to do than constant 100% changes.

If you're going to be getting a home for your betta I'd get the right size tank from the very beginning so that you don't waste time and money on a smaller tank just to get tired of the constant maintenance and upgrade to a larger (that you could've bought in the first place) later.

So yeah I'd get the 5 gallon, a heater, some gravel, a cave of some sort (I saw these REALLY cool bird-shaped ones at petsmart! <3 they look like bird skulls!), some silk or real plants (if they're real I'd make sure that they're stem plants (like anacharis and water sprite, Java fern is AWESOME too) and to get a daylight (6,500 or higher K(elvin)) CFL (swirly light bulbs) so that they get the light that the need and don't die on you), some water conditioner (I HIGHLY recommend Seachem's PRIME water conditioner! You only need 2 drops per gallon! (1.6 drops to be precise), some aquarium filter foam (Aqua Clear Filter Foam refills are great) for baffling the outflow of your filter and then set it all up.

That's my two cents anyway. ;]

Good luck with your future buddy and thank you so much for doing your research before you got your pet! <3 It means a lot to me. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #16 
inkrealm

be careful with the plastic plants, they can tear their fins REALLY easily.
I do have the blue one though, and it's pretty soft for plastic, and my Betta loves to sleep behind it at night, maybe because he's blue too, :P
not sure about the others though, just watch them really well and see if they snag pantyhose before you use them with your betta. even if they pass the pantyhose test they can still harm them, but it's less likely.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #17 
Thunderloon

I wouldn't buy any of their products even for a hospital tank.
Everything but the acrylic is made of recycled plastic and some of it has lead in it, they use under-gravel filters and have no hose guide to keep tugs on the air-hose from pulling the grid off the bottom. If the riser pipe breaks free it can suck your fish in and they fly off the grid like planes from Heathrow.

When you see little tanks for under $25.00 or so what you're seeing is a waste product made to gouge you. The light won't keep the tank warm and is no-where near as bright as those pictures show.

Be better off with a one gallon mason jar and a desk lamp honestly.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Ok, this is my female's current set-up:

Attachment 28486

And speaking of Kritter Keepers, I used one, too. It was the 2 gallon one. But it definitely goes larger for only a couple dollars more. There's a Whisper 3i filter that I LOVE (and have two of!) for about $10-$12. So $10 for 3 gallon keeper and $12 for a filter isn't that bad. It would just be harder to get the light in for your betta. So you'd have to place it somewhere where light is whether it be a room light or sunlight. (Not direct sun!)

These are all the same decorations as the other tank in here for her. I like the Kritter Keepers because they come with a little hole in it, too, so the filter cords can come out while the lid stays on. Plus, it has a feeder part, too.

Attachment 28487
That's a beautiful critter keeper! well done! I am planning on getting the same filter for my 3 gallon critter keeper..How did you get it in there? Did you just cut a piece out of the lid?I am hoping my critter keeper will look as nice eventually! I had to take out most of my live plants because I was using aquarium salt.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #19 
inkrealm

I'd really like to know how you got the filter in the critter keeper with its lid too; once I learn how to keep my first happy and balanced I'd love to be bale to get a few more from those horrible pet stores and give them nice homes; and a critter keeper+heater would be much cheaper than another glass tank and far more likely for my parents to allow ^-^; I guess I could clean it manually but it's always good to cycle if it's possible...

Last edited by inkrealm; 05-15-2011 at 10:32 AM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #20 
laughing

The one I had had a push-out circle thing in the lid, but I didn't use it. The lid once securely on was basically locked for all eternity, LOL! I could barely get it off, and if I did, I had to hold it sideways and have a friend help me. Therefore I decided to never put it on with water/my fish inside or else they'd be doomed in there! LOL Or there'd be a big watery mess everywhere. ;)

So what I did was keep the tubing right underneath the lid. The lid rested nicely on top. It worked because the lid wasn't heavy at all so it didn't press down the tube. And there wasn't a hole for her to jump out, and of course she wasn't strong enough to jump and actually knock the lid off. It looked nice, too!

I love the filter because it has a slow intake and the intake isn't one of those grated piece intakes. The intake is only on the bottom. Therefore she's MUCH less likely to get sucked in because she'd have to swim directly to the bottom and swim right underneath it to even get near the intake. And a major tip is do NOT point the filter length wise. Then you'll have disruption with the flow all the way down the Keeper. Instead, point it directly to the next side like I've done. Then you have the flow only on one part!

And thank you for the compliments! In there are 2 fake plants and anacharis. She loved that set-up. I just wanted a "nicer" tank for her and the tank was cheap. Plus, it had about .6 more gallons, which I think counts! The Keepers are good, too, because they don't have strange views, you can see directly on to check on your fish. Plus, they are cheap! 3 gallons for $10? Heck yes! :D
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, decorations, habitat, plants, tank