Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 
falconboy99

Question Camera Flash?

When I signed up and saw that this site had Betta photo contests, i thought about something: Does the camera flash harm them in any way?

Last edited by falconboy99; 05-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.
falconboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #2 
Harley

It doesn't seem to bother Harley but some people have said it bothers their bettas. It's probably like looking at the sun. It blurs your eyes a bit but it doesn't take long to recover. IMO, try it and see.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #3 
ollief9

I would turn the flash off. The flash seems to make the picture loose colour and if you have a glass tank there is a huge white splodge from the flash.

The only problem with no flash is you have to be very steady with your hands, one jerk and it ruins the picture.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4 
newarkhiphop

lol jaws hates the camera flash, looks like he goes blind for a second but he fine after
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 
SillyCone

my betta runs from it then goes back like "I will face my destiny!!!" and keep looking at the camera then runs again and comes back once more... lol.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 
copperarabian

I highly recommend getting a speed light that sits on the top of some cameras (DSLR, SLR) that you can bounce off a reflector next to your aquarium. unfortunately they're kinda expensive :( I rent them from my school because I don't want to buy one yet because of the price. You can also use a flood light (very cheap at home improvement stores) and point it through the side of a aquarium to illuminate your fish in a more natural looking way. Also this way the fish's eyes can adjust to the bright light.

Full spectrum lights are better for photography if you decide to use a floodlight, especially if they are 5000k or 5500k which is sunlight

I try not to use flash with my fish, only when I first got them for good sharp photos of them displaying. I imagine it as having a strobe light(the big lights in studios) going off in your face without a soft box, it just isn't fun and fish don't have eye lids to protect their eyes like we do.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, flash, harm, hurt, traumatize