Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #1 
MissKLC

Not out of the woods yet.

Oh, so when we first got our veil-tail Vlad, we accidentally overstocked our tank, it was a 5 gallon with him and an oto, there was an ammonia spike and he got ammonia poisoning. When this happened the scales on his gills, dried or something, they are discolored, greyish, and he lost almost all color in his body became lethargic got clamped fins etc. Oh and he didn't eat for the 1st week of us having him, he eats like a pig now.

Well we remedied this, he got active again, unclamped his pretty fins, started a bubblenest and now his color has almost completely returned. His gill flaps are still discolored but everything else looks ok.
We check his water twice a day (paranoid), all the specs were looking good.

When we fist got him he paced a lot, and we thought this was part of his quirky personality. Once he got better he continued pacing. Sometimes when we aren't working, or when we enter the room, he's exploring his tank like Azathoth is always doing. But when we are in the room, its this constant spastic pacing and it keeps getting more spastic.

Now he has a white spot on his fin (last night it was two, now its one) I automatically assume ich, however we have salt in our tank and had been treating with lifeguard after the ammonia poisoning, he was lethargic for nearly a week after and we thought it might be something else. So with salt, lifegaurd, and a pristine tank we were confused to how Ich could have formed, and now one of the spots is gone?!
He isn't dive-bombing, scratching, rubbing or anything.

Just one spot, and spastic pacing.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? oddly low at 74, usually at 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes a Tom Internal filter http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Filte...5415473&sr=8-2
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day, or 1 bloodworm twice a day, fast him on thursdays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquasafe plus, 1 teaspoon aquarium salt, florapride(once a month)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?yes while writing this post, using the AP master test kit

Ammonia: between 0ppm and .25ppm Not quite either... strange
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0ppm
pH:7.4 or 7.6 (same color since we started testing 2 weeks ago so very consistent)
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? a single white spot on his right pectoral fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? slightly more spastic pacing as opposed to his normal casual pacing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The spasticness about 3 or 4 days ago, the spot last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? His tank has a dose of aquarium salt, he's also been under a lifeguard treatment ( 1 tab a day, last 4 or so days)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes he recovered from ammonia poisoning
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, we've had him 2 weeks, he is large though his body is about 2 inches

Any advice? If he's developing anything we want to nip it in the bud now...
MissKLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 
MissKLC

I don't know how to edit my post but heres a video maybe.. if the link works..
about 50 secs in is when he gets spazzy
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/...=Video0008.mp4
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Just to clarify...

So your fish starting acting more spastic when you started giving him the Lifeguard tablets? What are they treating?

And are you still giving aquarium salt for the ammonia poisoning? Aquarium salt is typically something you only add while treating. If you use it as a routine additive, it's less effective when you need it to work?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #4 
MissKLC

the salt is a regular additive, we read in a lot of books that having it in the aquarium is a preventive measure. The use of aquarium salt can prevent the development of ich and other issues. (When I say a lot of books I mean every book on tropical fish we can get our hands on lol) For example, Boruchowitz's Aquarium Care of Betta's says that keeping small concentrations of salt in the water at all times is beneficial as a prophylatic

Also the lifeguard was added during the post ammonia poisoning, he took a long while to come out of his lethargic clamped fins stage, and we were told to use the lifeguard as it was a general "fixer" just in case the lethargy and clamped fins was due to something developing and not from the ammonia poisoning, (we went to a specialty fish store who told us to do that) the life guard has you treat for 5 days or so, and I didn't want to just abruptly stop the treatment cause he was looking better ( I was told this was bad).
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 
MissKLC

I just realized his fins aren't as smooth as they were either, they look a little like they are deteriorating, however it doesn't look like finrot, I can't get him to stand still long enough to get a picture though... Please help, I'm new to this and am trying to do everything right, I researched heavily before getting him and am doing everything literally by the books
Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #6 
MissKLC

-update- picture of fins
sorry about the low quality, instead of a new camera... I got the fish.... Also he won't stand still

for reference here is what the looked like after he fully recovered from the ammonia, and a day after we treated with lifeguard ( I seriously thank that stuff, he did a 360 after the first day of treatment, which makes me wonder if it was just ammonia he was having problems with)