Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 
ctbetta808

What Filter?

Hey can anyone give me some advice on a filter. I have a 5 gallon tank that I would like to get a filter for. I am pretty new to this stuff any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
ctbetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #2 
Harley

The Fluval U1 is a pretty good filter and is rated for up to 15g but is adjustable and its internal. The Aquaclear 20 is a HOB filter and is also rated well (I personally had a bad one when I tried it though). Its also adjustable and is rated for 5 to 20g. The nice thing about an adjustable one is that you can better control the current so they don't bother your fish as much. You can also baffle them though to help with that if its a problem.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #3 
pumpkinspikepie

I've got the sponge filter by Elite for my 3g and for my 5g, and those are nice because you can get an air pump that won't create too strong a current. I use this pump for the 5g and this one for the 3g. I prefer the second one because it's a lot quieter, and less prone to wearing out than the Whisper guys.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 
ctbetta808

Thanks for the advice. I have a tetra whisper pf10 for 5-10 gallon tanks. The current is way to strong though. I'm going to try put a baffle on it. I think it still may be way too much still, so I'll probably use it for my ten gallon.
ctbetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

that pf10 if you don't mind putting holes in it you can drill some holes (clean up the little plastic bits carefully) all down the front and it will keep the flow rate of filtration without that small hard pushing jet of water. I've got a little 3i with holes in it and it is incredibly gentle in the tank and still moves TONS of water.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote