Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #21 
Jonni

That's what I suspected, bettafish15. The dark green one. It feels soft, but is still pokey. He has a cave in his tank still. I just did the third water change and took all of the plants out, i'll see how his tail is tomorrow. He's still acting fine so that's a good sign I assume.
Jonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #22 
Jonni

Oh and how long will it take his tail to grow back? I don't care how long it takes, really, just curious.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #23 
Jonni

Fourth water change today, I added the red plant back and two grassy plants and I tilted his bowl sideways to see how he likes it.
Here's pictures from today; you can kinda see how it has gotten worse (but it hasn't changed from yesterday to today.)
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #24 
Grundylady

When Bo had it I tried the betta fix but it only helped temporarily - when ever I stopped it came back. HOWEVER, when I started giving Bo one quarter of a cube of frozen blood worms (once a week) his tail started growing back almost overnight. I was told he needed more protein to fight the fin rot and it seems to be working for me. Just an FYI for you.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #25 
Silverfang

is it possible he's biting his fins?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #26 
Jonni

@Silverfang it could be. I've never seen him do it though.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #27 
Silverfang

I can't tell if the ends are black, or if they are feathery. But it resembles what I've seen my boy do. If it is tail biting (or fin biting, they aren't fussy), then clean water is what will be best. I've added a bit of stress coat after I've discovered a tail biting incident, just to help heal and prevent infection. I'm pretty sure tail biting if left untreated can turn into fin rot.
Also, high protein diet, my boy is getting fed frozen blood worms once a day. He loves them. While live foods would be best, lets face it, not available to everyone. Frozen is a decent alternative, and it's fairly affordable. The hardest part is being willing to work with frozen blood worms.
Good luck, and keep up with the clean water! Oh, as a side note, my Scuzi loves his floating plants (live). I was suggested to try some live plants to help with his biting tendencies.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #28 
Jonni

The ends are not black, so its probably tail biting? I'll continue the daily water changes/AQ salt treatment until I see some improvement and i'll try and get the bloodworms. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #29 
Jonni

This morning his tail is pretty much the same. There were black "stringy" parts on his tail on the ends, those broke off, so his tail looks more even... if that's confusing (it is to me a little bit ) i'll take pictures before or after his water change!