Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

I don't want to jinx myself..haha...But my fish looks to be feeling slightly better this morning..He still is hanging out at the bottom quite a bit...but he is swimming around a little more than he was yesterday...Now he swims around for a little bit then rests back on the bottom...swims a little then rests again...I lowered his tank half way...gave him some aquarium salt and IAL...I had some IAL pre-steeped pretty dark already...I have it for my one fish who is a compulsive tailbiter...So I gave him some..It seems to be working pretty well for this guy too though.Hopefully he makes a 100% recovery!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #12 
Canuck Fins

Glad you've got some positive news! I hope he continues to get better!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #13 
Littlebittyfish

OH CRUD! I am starting to feel like an awful fish keeper....

I noticed after my last post on this thread that he actually had a little bit of white fuzz on his fin...So I started a 10 day aquarium salt treatment with daily water changes...water kept at around 77.....He perked up alot! he was acting great...then this morning...I noticed he was hanging out at the top of his tank...so I watched him for a little bit to see if maybe he was just hanging out under his bubble nest....no....He actually cant swim to the bottom of the tank now....He struggles to get down there to wedge himself under a leaf....then as soon as he tries to swim anywhere he floats back to the top....Swim bladder problems now? His belly looks a little big. I only fed him 2 pellets this morning.........
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #14 
Canuck Fins

Things happen. Something I'd recommend going forward is to fast your fish one day per week. This will help. How much are you feeding him now? I give my guy 2 pellets twice a day, substitute 3 bloodworms on Sunday morning and fast on Fridays. Swim Bladder is usually from overfeeding.

Swim Bladder is usually treated with epsom salt (1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt - not aquarium salt- for two days, then increase it to 2 tsp/g for eight days, doing daily 100% water changes throughout treatment), but I don't know what to do if you are already treating for something else. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Things happen. Something I'd recommend going forward is to fast your fish one day per week. This will help. How much are you feeding him now? I give my guy 2 pellets twice a day, substitute 3 bloodworms on Sunday morning and fast on Fridays. Swim Bladder is usually from overfeeding.

Swim Bladder is usually treated with epsom salt (1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt - not aquarium salt- for two days, then increase it to 2 tsp/g for eight days, doing daily 100% water changes throughout treatment), but I don't know what to do if you are already treating for something else. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this.
I will definitely start fasting one day a week now...I usually feed one or two pellets in the morning and 2 at night..Occasionally I feed a freeze dried blood worm...but no more than once or twice a week as it is just a treat...
Do you think it is too soon after the aquarium salt treatment to start the epsom salt?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #16 
Littlebittyfish

I fasted him last night and this morning...I couldn't find my epsom salt? So I gave him a little IAL until I could get to the store today...This morning he can swim right again!?I am so confused...
I am going to buy some epsom salt today just in case it happens again...Maybe my pellets are too big/heavy? I believe I will switch to new life spectrum..I hear it is smaller in size...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #17 
SillyCone

glad he is better! You can try mini granules as well, that's what I feed mine, since I can't find the pellets :C
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

Thanks. Hopefully he will continue to be better this time! He seems to really love the IAL in his water...he really gets excited when his water is tanned.. I am going to look for a different type of food in the next couple of days...