Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #11 
laughing

So basically a 10 gallon tank without a lid or a filter unit with live plants is good? I'd probably cover the top with something like duckweed or anacharis... What do you use??

Should I go for an inch and a half of water from the top for good measure? I have a known jumper in my hands, therefore is a mesh lid with holes about an inch wide work? Will mosquitos still lay their eggs?? Also, I think having a protective lid will keep the birds away when I have the screen up for light.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I use water lettuce, frogbit, duckweed and clipping from my rooted plants in the house that I leave floating

Inch and half should be good along with floating plants.....

For mosquito to lay eggs they like/need calm water-if you want lots of larva-setup the tank-just water for a week or so before you add fish, plants etc.....this will get it seeded.....

I have never had bird problems......but I have lots of cats that keep them away...lol....what kind of birds??? pigeons...maybe.....I live in the woods so apt second story- don't know much about the wildlife....laffs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #13 
laughing

No like... Hmm... I don't know what they are! More "finch" like. I don't think they'll eat the bettas, but rather be obnoxious. The pigeons stay on the ground!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote