Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
laughing

Thinking this will work.

I have a 20 gallon tall tank. I was going to sell it, but haven't had any luck the past few weeks. The reason was it doesn't have a hood on it and I didn't want to spend another $35 getting one.

So I was thinking about lowering the water level some (one or two inches) and adding some floating plants that won't block them from getting air. I'm thinking of getting a "desk" type of lamp that points light directly down into the water so the plants get proper lighting. Or even a "clamp on" light. As well, they'd get indirect sunlight.

I do have a filter for it, but it's filtering my 5 gallon right now. (It's a 5-15 gallon filter.) So I'm curious, my tank will still cycle, correct? And I will have live plants in there (no fake) so they will help rid the ammonia. Will I be okay with weekly or week-and-a-half partial water changes? I also net out any uneaten food.

Thanks guys!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

If the filter contains a bio-media card (not just carbon bag) then it is what is cycled. You will also have bacteria down in the rocks and so on but if you don't increase the fish load the filter itself should support the larger tank.

Generally you can spawn to additional filters simply by getting the new filter and running it beside the old one. The bacteria of the nitrogen cycle grow everywhere but prefer soft flows in darkness on rough surfaces.

You can probably get away with adding one more filter beside the old one on the 20. They can leap out by a couple feet so a top is kinda mandatory but they can be made from cut acrylic sheet and you can hang a shop light over the tank from a hook. That combo is usually about $25.00 at most but then you can raise the shop light up and still have strong light for working in the tank.

Open top is ok with most fish if you don't have cats, raccoons, rats or ferrets as pets, just keep air flow away from betta tanks so a layer of moist air stays at the surface.

The cool thing about acrylic sheets is you can cut them so that your filters can go wherever you want instead of in one small space in the back.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #3 
laughing

It is 20 gallons, so I could easily lower the water by 4 inches if needed. I only want about 7 females in there. Probably will stick to 5 for awhile. :3
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

could make ur own top with plastic canvas or similar material :)
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #5 
laughing

How could I do that?