Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #1 
squal90

is it normal if..

is it normal when my male betta starts biulding a bubble next and my female betta starts showing vertical lines after 6 hrs of been together???
squal90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 
squal90

here is a vid of how they look right now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KwaL0dgKp4
Old 05-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #3 
BettaMas

It's perfectly normal, and it means that both of them are ready to spawn. I would suggest that u release the female. U should see some wrapping action pretty soon. Do monitor them tho. Good luck.
BettaMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I'd hold off letting the female out just yet. She has breeding stripes but she doesn't look too thrilled to be there.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Agreed, I'd wait. She is all clamped up and is not in a submissive position yet (head down at a 45* angle). Did you condition her? She doesn't really look to be in breeding condition... but that might be the lighting. It's hard to see her.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
squal90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Agreed, I'd wait. She is all clamped up and is not in a submissive position yet (head down at a 45* angle). Did you condition her? She doesn't really look to be in breeding condition... but that might be the lighting. It's hard to see her.
how do i condition her? :S i didnt know that i have to , i mean, i did condition the water ..but what else do i have to do?

thanks for ur help guys!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 
Splendid Veil

Condition, as in feeding her lots of good foods. wether it be live, frozen, or freeze dried. how much research did you do on breeding? jw
Splendid Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #8 
bettafish15

You're supposed to condition each fish for two weeks, as in, you feed them healthy live foods and keep their water super clean, you change their water more than normal, and other stuff. I'm not a breeder, however many on this forum are.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

squal90, conditioning is a pretty simple process, but if you haven't done it yet then you should separate your bettas into separate heated tanks while you do it. Conditioning is very important; conditioned parents make healthy fry. Additionally, unconditioned bettas are more likely to get sick or die following breeding since it is very stressful.

Conditioning: You just feed your pair lots of good foods like frozen (NOT FREEZE DRIED) blood worms, glassworms, brine shrimp and live things like mosquito larva or wingless fruit flies. During this 2 week period you should not allow the two fish to see each other and you should keep their water cleaner than it has ever been before.

How much research have you done? What kind of breeding set up do you have?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #10 
squal90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
squal90, conditioning is a pretty simple process, but if you haven't done it yet then you should separate your bettas into separate heated tanks while you do it. Conditioning is very important; conditioned parents make healthy fry. Additionally, unconditioned bettas are more likely to get sick or die following breeding since it is very stressful.

Conditioning: You just feed your pair lots of good foods like frozen (NOT FREEZE DRIED) blood worms, glassworms, brine shrimp and live things like mosquito larva or wingless fruit flies. During this 2 week period you should not allow the two fish to see each other and you should keep their water cleaner than it has ever been before.

How much research have you done? What kind of breeding set up do you have?

thank you so much!.. i have read almost the whole breeding betta fish thread. i guess i missed the female conditioning part :(.. thank you .. are this the flies u were talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/32-oz-2-Cultures...item5d2ec33515