Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #1 
metalbetta

Sick fish + Out of town = ?

Hey guys,

I'm leaving town early Wednesday morning, and won't be back until Saturday.

Unfortunately, Daiquiri is still very ill. She has a lesion on her underside. It began with a flesh eating bacteria that attacked her side... That's been taken care of... It was just beginning to heal when some very aggressive fin rot (assuming columnaris) ate a piece of her anal fin right down to her body within 24 hours. Right now, that lesion is what we are fighting. She's doing very well for her situation.
She's active, eating her antibacterial pellets, and being treated with 3 tsps of epsom salt/gal. Her only problems are the lesion (that looks like it's stopped growing), and she's pretty bloated. Worried dropsy might set in, but I'm fighting it with the epsom salt. She reached day 10 of her antibiotics, so I took her off of those, and am attempting natural methods until I return from my trip.
My question is if there's anything I can do before I leave to make sure I don't come home to a dead fish? I just lost Mew this morning to the same thing, and that's why I'm worried. I could already tell she might not have made it, since she wasn't eating at all, she was bloated, and hiding a lot. But I see potential with Daiquiri. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited by metalbetta; 05-16-2011 at 12:13 AM.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #2 
bettafish15

Hm.. The only thing I can think of is to do 100% water change right before you leave. I'm so sorry about Mew! She was adorable. QAQ
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #3 
Canuck Fins

How big a tank are you leaving her in while you are gone?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #4 
metalbetta

a one gallon QT tank. The only other tank I have available at the moment is a 10 gallon, and I wouldn't want her to use too much energy trying to get up for air. Unless you think that'd be a better idea for a few days?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 
bamsuddenimpact

maybe fill the ten gallon half way, that way not going as far but more fresh water?
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 
JKfish

If you can find a shallow tubberware, sterlite tub, or something along those lines that is maybe a bit bigger, you could have better water quality, but not have to worry about her struggling to reach air.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #7 
metalbetta

Alright, if I do it, I'll have to sterilize the thing, since that tank was the source of the infection. It's probably better than keeping her in a gallon situation for three days anyway.
I'll clean it out the best way I know how. Bleach is my friend. lol
Thanks for the advice! Anything else I might be able to do to make sure she's safe and sound for a few days? I plan on keeping the place as dark as possible so she can focus more on healing. Not sure how easy that will be since the tank is right next to the glass door, but maybe putting a towel over the tank might work?