Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #31 
Kiere

Thanks Anhel, he does have quite the personality! The AQ salt is working great! I ordered the Jungle medication you recommended to have on hand in the event of an Betta emergency. Also plan on getting some Epsom salts as well. Better safe then sorry : )

OFL I saw you have a heavily planted tanks, I have a lilly bulb that has yet to sprout but has a fluffy white fuzz growing on it. Is this something I should worry about or is this normal plant bulb activity?
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #32 
ANHEL123

I am glad ur betta doing good!!! :)

I have more questions to Oldfishlady though. I feel silly to ask those questions.

What i can smashed it with? I don't have food processor. Can i use garlic squeezer? Should i make little pellets and freeze it or just make little pellets and feed them fresh?

Sorry i feel i ask silly questions. But i am petrified if they will choke on it.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-16-2011 at 11:35 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #33 
SillyCone

that's not a silly question, is actually a good one, now that I think about it I wouldn't know how to prepare either.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #34 
ANHEL123

And it would be good because with that variety of the food they can stay healthier and fight disease easier if they get sick. And can u imagine how much they will love it and exited. All mine bettas so exited every morning and evening!!! They are so funny:)

I think OFL will see my question she is offline now. I can't wait to try new food for them!

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-16-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #35 
ANHEL123

I also don’t know do we have to buy fresh spinach or frozen one?
If it fresh how long we have to boil it? And can we freeze that mixed or it really better feed them with fresh food, because I think it will lose some nutrition’s if we freeze it?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #36 
Oldfishlady

Homemade fish food-I use only human grade food items and it varies when I make it depending on how much items I have on hand since I grow my own spinach and garlic
I use raw jumbo shrimp-I remove the shell except for the tail..I chop and smash the shrimp and tail into a paste with a knife
Garlic-fresh-depending on clove size 2-6 cloves-I use a garlic press and crush it
Spinach-5-8 leaves depending on size-I blanch it in boiling water for a min or so till wilted and smash it up with the garlic while still warm the add the smashed shrimp and smash it all together with the knife or fork...I don't use a food processor......you can...but not needed.....
I looks/smells like green garlic shrimpy paste...lol.....I put in in zip-lock bag and press out flat and freeze...break off what you want to feed each day....

Plants bulb-if it has white fuzz on it-remove from the tank and wash it off and check it...if it is soft and mushy....its bad...toss it in the trash or compost pile...if it is still hard or firm to touch...wash and place in a dish of clean dechlorinated water in a sunny window for a few days and see if it will sprout......I get a 50/50 success on these bulbs......nice plants once they do grow......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #37 
ANHEL123

Oldfishlady i am so sorry but is it possible to use cooked shrimp? Just do everything u say but with cooked shrimp?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #38 
Oldfishlady

Yes, either will work...steamed or no seasoning added boil or raw are fine....I have used both...raw can get messy and sticky sometimes but if you add the hot spinach fast enough it will kinda cook it some to make it easier to handle/work with too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

Thank you so much for ur help. It very helpful information. I really glad that i can add more nutrition’s to their diet. I would never now about that. Thank you so much :)