Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #1 
Punki

Ripped?!?

Sorry to post in here afrer only a couple of days but tonight i was watching Fishy swim and he was flaring at me so i grabbed my camera to snap a few pictures of him, the first picture came out fine as you can see.

but he made his round and came flying back to where i was at and flarred again, REALLY HARD and fast, its the most id ever seen him flare so i tried to snap a picture but to my horror when looking at it it LOOKS like his gill ripped right off his side... Do the inside of their gills sometimes look like...raw skin? D; If so ive never noticed it beofre, even in my picture taken just 10 seconds before, it didnt appear that way. Heres the picture =/ I hope hes okay! As soon as i snapped and looked i saw it and he rushed into his plants for a bit, and is now sortof, lazy, floating a bit more, no visible damage or bleeding now that hes not flaring but he seems a bit...sad?
Oh right, the picture.
Its so shiny and pink and scaring me >.<
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #2 
Punki

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 77-82 (night and day)
Does your tank have a filter? It says it does, a biological filtration.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes its part of the "filter"
Is your tank heated? No need yet, its very hot in the house
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Live Mosquito larvae
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day 6 days a week, about 6-8 larvae day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 3 days then 50% while vac gravel then 3 more days and siphon about 75-80% Leaving just enough to cover him
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra aquasafe in 75% spring water, 25% tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 3.0
pH: Not sure
Hardness: Not sure
Alkalinity: Not sure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I dont think/know if this is normal, i never saw it before, possible rip in gill?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems tired, but its late and hes yawning here and there so he could just BE tired, =/
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tonight taking a picture
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)?Got him 2 1.2 months ago from walmart, picked him off a new shipment with clean water and no fin rot, he was the most active in his cup.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #3 
copperarabian

Don't worry, your fish is perfectly fine. the gills are supposed to look fleshy.

Here's a photo of Bass gills for comparison in the color
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwate.../gillbass1.jpg (it's not morbid, but I didn't post it here as a pic since it's a fish someone just caught and I don't want to offend anyone)

And that's my bettas gills (little out of focus sorry XD)

Hopefully this helps some to make you feel better :)

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-14-2011 at 11:11 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 
BrookeGrace

Looks fine to me, too! Seems normal.

He's stunning, too! Pretty colors. :)
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #5 
Punki

I guess you two are right, he seems fine today, eating and swimming like nothings wrong at all. Glad he didnt hurt himself XD
Thank you, hes one of the lucky walmart fishys, glad he was able to pull through :D
Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #6 
Diana S

He very pretty.Glad he O.K too.Diana
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #7 
Abby

hes so pretty. heres a few flare pics i snapped of my crew:
the under colour is different to each fish depending on his or her colours heres a few egs:
Spongebob:

Charz has a dark with a little red in his:

Louie:

front on

Pippin:

top view:

Cedric:

Melvin:

LMAO: this is Melvin flaring at Benny Front on

And old man Dastan (RIP) flaring at Benny... my thinks benny is offensive. hes the main one they ALL flare at
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #8 
Punki

Love them all, so pretty! Spongebobs undergill area looks sort of pink as well in the picture, thats very reassuring :) I never realized it would be a different color and if it matched them i just imagined it to be dark blue or dull red, the bright pink caught me offguard!
Ive had Fishy for almost 3 months now, the first month he was in a "betta bowl" partly because its all i had at the time and partly because of the fact that i bought him from Walmart and i always worry they are sick, so daily water changes in a 1gal is much easier until i trust his health is okay. After a month i kept buying/returning tanks until i found one just right, i really love watching him and feeding him, hes very feisty :))
and The closeup of melvin is adorable, i still havent managed to catch a straight on pic of fishy flaring yet.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #9 
Abby

its not an easy task lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote