Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #1 
Floppyshine

Question Why is my betta not getting better?

My betta has not been getting better.

He has:
-torn fins
-a lot of new black specks
-breathing heavily sometimes
-moldy looking spots

I think he most likely has fin rot, but I would expect it to go away by now. I'm already doing partial changes every 2-4 days. I have been treating him with mardel maracyn-oxy, melafix, and aquariam salt. He swims around normally but stops to rests more often, even though he has no problem eating or breathing. I have been treating him with melafix for around 7 days and maracyn oxy for 5 days. He only seems to be getting worse, as the moldy spots spread and his fins keep tearing. Some of the spikes on his fins are turning black/brown. I dont know why he wont get better.

before:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ure0012cs.jpg/

after:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture0036n.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture0031j.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture0026a.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture0059x.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture0063v.jpg/

The moldy spots are hard to see but in the 3rd picture (I think) if you look at the top of his tail fin, you may see some moldy-like spots
Floppyshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Can you fill out the sticky in the Disease forum please?
It looks to me like he is just developing a marbling pattern (which is normal)... I don't see any fin rot.. Are there any black tips?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #3 
Floppyshine

Housing
What size is your tank? 14 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Wardley Chlor-out

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: I dont know
Nitrite:I dont know

Nitrate:I dont know

pH:I dont know

Hardness:I dont know

Alkalinity: I dont know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Torn fins, some mold-like spots, dark blue/ black speckles
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A little tired, breathing a little heavily
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1-2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, Melafix, Mardel Maracyn-oxy, aquariam salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I am not sure, I got him 3-4 weeks ago
Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
Floppyshine

His tail fin and bottom fin have a small spot that looks moldy, and I think it is spreading to the rest of the fins. He also looks slightly yellowish. The medicine I am giving him does not seem to be working. What should I do?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

I would stop the meds, that's probably why he is lethargic. Those look like normal colors to me, he is probably a marble betta. Marbles can change their pattern over time. I can't see any fin rot, but that doesn't mean it isn't there... Are there any black tips or edging?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #6 
ansalong

I agree with DarkMoon, it looks like he is coloring up. Marble Bettas sometimes change color a lot over their lifetimes. There don't seem to be any black edges so I also don't think he has fin rot.

I would stop the meds and aq salt, give him a rest. If there's anything I learned on this forum it's that clean water often does the trick, and that medicine should be a last resort unless the case is drastic. Give him fresh clean conditioned water for a little while and see if he doesn't perk up and his fins look better.

If his fins don't get better, you can try an aq salt treatment (just salt, no meds). It will probably be easiest to do this in a 1 gal QT tank or container that you can float in the 14 to maintain temperature. For ten days change water every day and prepare the fresh water with 1tsp aq salt (per gal if you use a bigger container). Stop the salt after ten days but keep up daily water changes in QT until he's looking better.

He may be biting them or tearing them on something in the tank. I don't really see the problem in those pics so it is hard to tell what's going on. Make sure all your decorations pass the pantyhose test and aren't likely to tear his fins.

Good luck! He is a cutie.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote