Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #171 
LolaQuigs

I'm glad he is showing an interest in the pellets! If they're too big for him, you could try crushing them or cutting them in half (if you can manage it!).
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #172 
skywillig

I will try that, although they seem really compact and sturdy.

Anyone knows how much light on the environment is ideal?
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #173 
LolaQuigs

Unless you have live plants, lighting isn't really that important. You can use the standard aquarium lighting if you have a hood, and if you don't have a hood you can just use an ordinary lamp (just make sure it doesn't overheat the tank). Compact flourescent bulbs make everything in the tank stand out and look really pretty, and they last a long time too. But you can use basic incandescent lighting if you can't find cfl or don't want to spend the money on them. Just don't leave any light on the tank for more than 8-10 hours, as it can cause algae growth.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #174 
skywillig

Do he does need artificial lights?
He's right beside a window, so he gets natural light during the day and natural darkness during the night (which here in Brazil is pretty much 12 hour/12 hour).
Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #175 
LolaQuigs

Natural light is ok, just don't let the sunlight directly hit his tank--it will increase the likelihood of algae, and it could overheat his tank. But indirect natural light is fine, I don't think bettas are too picky about lighting. :)
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #176 
skywillig

I see. :)
Thank you.

He hasn't come up yet so I could try and feed him. How many hours do they go without breathing?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #177 
skywillig

It's been over a month, but I just wanted to come back and say my fish is still going. He eats 5 pellets a day, is still somewhat inactive but he'll respond to banging on the glass, and will swim up upon the lid of the aquarium being open for food.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #178 
BlueHaven

That's great!! I've been reading this thread, haha
Your betta is pretty and he must be happy!
You could look up the different diseases and such that can catch a betta, to make sure he's okay.
:)

BTW, his home looks really cool!!!

I don't think it's good to bang on the glass, but if it's very light tapping it MIGHT be okay.
Try to get his attention by something that interests him, maybe just wave along the glass with your fingers or show him random objects like rocks or stuffed animals.

You seem to really care about your pets, that's great.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #179 
MelissaD

Glad to hear your betta is doing so much better! The first post had me scared. :P
MelissaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #180 
skywillig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaven View Post
That's great!! I've been reading this thread, haha
Your betta is pretty and he must be happy!
You could look up the different diseases and such that can catch a betta, to make sure he's okay.
:)

BTW, his home looks really cool!!!

I don't think it's good to bang on the glass, but if it's very light tapping it MIGHT be okay.
Try to get his attention by something that interests him, maybe just wave along the glass with your fingers or show him random objects like rocks or stuffed animals.

You seem to really care about your pets, that's great.
I agree it mustn't be very good, I'm just saying that opposed to how he was in the beggining, not interested in anything... I don't think he's so attentive as to pay atention to movement around the aquarium though. Just when I lift the lid, which might be because of the light vibration it causes on the glass? Is it possible he's blind?