Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #1 
nowzem

Mendel Squares for bettas?

Can anyone tell me of a good resource for betta genetics? Most of the stuff I've seen is unreliable or not detailed. I want to know what traits are dominant. I want to know what I'll get when I breed x with x...or I want to be able to make my own Mendel squares to figure it out! I'm mainly interested in tail types and not so much colors (at least not yet!)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

It is difficult to apply Mendalian genetics to bettas since many traits are on the same chromosome (which is something Mendal did not know when he made his thesis). However in general:
VT: Dominant (D)
Round Tail: D
Crowntail: CoDominant/Incomplete dominance: in other words, if you cross a CT with a VT/HM/SD you will get a VT/HM/SD with (not so nice) spikes
Single Tail: Semi-Dominant to Double Tail: when crossing a DT and ST you will get both tail types.
Double Tail: Recessive (R) you should not cross two DTs, only cross DT x ST
you will get some DT and some ST fry
HM and SD are basically recessive to VT and RT... HM and SD have more of a gradual inheritance pattern. If you cross SD x SD you will get a whole bunch of SDs. If you cross a SD and a HM you will get mostly SD and some HM. HM xHM will get you some HM and some SD...

Colors are MUCH more complicated. Here's a journal I wrote on it awhile back, it isn't perfect http://news.deviantart.com/article/139935/
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #3 
nowzem

That so ROCKS! Thank you!
OK..next question.. what happens when you breed HMPK x HM (or any other for that matter)? I realize PK is more of a length and HM is more of a" spread" but I'm curious...will there be a mixture?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

HM x PK = theoretically you should have more HM because long fins are dominant over short fin. But IME ...... it's a totally different story because not 100% of the fry will survive - so which genes actually survive to adult.

You will definitely get both; HMPK and HM plus a mix (HM with shorter fins, but not short enough to be called PK). You may also get a PK caudal but a rather large anal (undesired for shows). The "mixes" are usually a very small percentage.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #5 
nowzem

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know! In the end, it doesn't really matter if I'm not planning to show them, I suppose! (As long as they are healthy and happy, too!)
Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #6 
Dragonlady

Someone needs to reinvent the tired old square in a 4-d model..
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #7 
nowzem

I agree. It just doesn't work for bettas (or much else besides eye colors and pea flowers, LOL)!