Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 
Kawasakired

Is he ok?

Hi guys im new to the Betta world but i am in love already!

I just have 1 question. I heard happy Betta's swim around the top of the tank and make bubble nests. My little Betta 'Big Red' generally stays low and will only go to the top when he wants air. Sometimes he may chill up there for a little while but he normally always comes back down. Hes really active, he swims around exploring all day.

He is in a 3 gallon tank with a heater, air stone and live plants. Is this normal activity? Its only his 2nd day in his tank.

Thanks
Kawasakired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #2 
Kawasakired

He also lives with a Cory Catfish and the 2 get along wonderfully. It seems like Big Red is looking for something in the gravel? he always has his head in it looking like hes searching for something?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #3 
Kawasakired

anyone? :(
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #4 
SillyCone

Well, I have mine for a while and he never made any bubblenests for me, maybe because he was always alone you'know.

So I don't think you should be worried for the fact it didn't make a bubble nest :P
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #5 
Kawasakired

ok cool :) he seems happy so we'll see what happens :p
Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #6 
pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakired View Post
He is in a 3 gallon tank with a heater, air stone and live plants. Is this normal activity? Its only his 2nd day in his tank.
A 3 gallon tank with an air stone? You probably have way too much water agitation for your betta to build a bubble nest. Also, it's only been two days, he might still be adjusting to his new surroundings.

Remove the air stone, and give him some time to adjust. Be sure to keep an eye on his tankmate - they seem fine now, but your betta might forgo building bubble nest and instead spend all his time trying to chase the cory away. Unfortunately, both are confined to a small 3gallon aquarium! You should get another tank for your cory, and get him some cory buddies so your cory can go to school :)
pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #7 
Kawasakired

The air stone isn't pumping out many bubbles, ive turned it right down. they seem fine with each other atm, the swim right beside each other and he never flares. but yes im going to take out the air stone for a while and see if it makes any difference and i plan on upgrading tanks in 2 weeks :)
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Please remove the cats. They need at least 10 gallons to live in. A betta should be the only occupant in a tank of three gallons.

With that heavy a bio load (from too many fish), youll need to clean your tank about every day.

I think you have the round-sided tank with the air stone stalk in it? Corries CANNOT live in this kind of tank, there is not enough room on the bottom.

That said, your betta may be adjusting. If you dont clean the tank at least once every two days (minimum), he will begin to suffer from ammonia-related issues.

Take care youve properly acclimated the fish by bobbing it in its cup for 5 minutes after a water change, then add new water to the cup every 5 minutes for at least 15 minutes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #9 
Punki

Is your tank an aquaview 360 3 gallon? Thats what i have and it has the airstone and biological filtration, its hard enough keeping it perfect for a betta alone, i couldnt imagine anything else working in the long run.
I run the bubbler always at about 25% of its full power and it does suck the nasty stuff into the gravel pretty well, i use a gravel vac once a week for that and today after almost two months in the tank my betta was able to manage a bubblenest in one of his plants that reached above the surface, so if your tanks anything like this one he may make one if the bubbles are low enough and he really has the urge.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 
trono

Like others have said the cory needs a larger tank and others of his kind to hang with.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote