Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #1 
Kytkattin

What % Should Salt Be?

Right now I have it as 2% because it is a newish tank and he did have some fin loss prior to that I am keeping it at a precautionary level for a bit. For Koi you are supposed to keep it at 1%, and then up it to 2%+ when they are sick. Is the same true for Bettas? If not, what are the percentages?
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With Bettas you don't want to keep them in salt (sodium chloride) long term....its great for treatment and depending on what you are treating you use it in doses of 1-3tsp/gal for no longer than 10 days generally.....along with 100% daily water changes in a QT container not in the display tank...this way you have more control of dosage, easier for the water changes, observation...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

Thank you for the reply! I have a little, expensive tool that gives me a reading on the percentage of salt in the water. It is nifty to have, so I know how much salt to add, or how much I take away when I do a water change.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote