Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #11 
Wyvern

No worries :)

My small first tank had the Hang on Back filter that also vibrated and drove me nuts! I couldnt sleep with it on, but I dont believe in turning filters off at all unless its for a short period. If you turn them off for more than 6hours at a time, the good bacteria you built up in the filter dies off. I found the cottonwool worked best.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundylady View Post
If it is not cycled then why, using the API test kit, is the ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate .25 or less when I test before the day I change the water. It IS cycled.

Also he HAD a small amount of fin rot but with proper nutrition he has new growth.

Pic of Bo in a glass during a change:

Anyway, the question is Do you think the vibration is having an adverse effect on Bo and should I switch him with the female for a time?
There are nicer ways to tell people information. I would have said the exact same thing. Ahem.

It is very unusual to be able to cycle a tank so small. Very unusual, and very difficult.

Are you sure thats the right reading?

You say its .25? .25ppm? You can go up to 20ppm, no decimal point.

if its .25, this means its very trace...if its 25ppm, its too high.

Nirtates can be found in water (just by itself) sometimes, too.

I know its not what youre asking, but it still should be addressed for the fish's health.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #13 
Grundylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
There are nicer ways to tell people information. I would have said the exact same thing. Ahem.

It is very unusual to be able to cycle a tank so small. Very unusual, and very difficult.

Are you sure thats the right reading?

You say its .25? .25ppm? You can go up to 20ppm, no decimal point.

if its .25, this means its very trace...if its 25ppm, its too high.

Nirtates can be found in water (just by itself) sometimes, too.

I know its not what youre asking, but it still should be addressed for the fish's health.
Using the API Master test kit the Nitrate gets a tiny bit more orange then yellow on water change day. But still way lighter then the orange of 5ppm the second reading. (Not the .25 of the second nitrite reading - sorry for my confusion.) (I also am very careful to have the right amount of water in the tube and read the directions every stinking time so I shake the solutions for the right amounts of time before timing for the 5 minutes on the nitrates.)

Still ammonia and nitrite stay 0 from week to week. This leads me to believe that the tank IS indeed cycled. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the tetra filter system that came with the tank is just really good. (I suppose I could also be wrong. Maybe. lol)

Thank you for checking the facts and not just telling me its impossible. I guess I WAS in a bit of a snit at the perceived tone of the other poster.

Leigh
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote