Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 
Abby

soooooooo

I have wanted to get myself a dog for some time now I HAVE a poodle but he lives with my dad. so when my partners dad got a dog it sort of stunted my want for my own dog seeing as I have done all his walking training and most of his bathing. we all do the letting out to the toilet and USUALLY partners dad feeds him.

but now the dogs 8 months old and a complete *** of a dog. Being my partners dads dog it was up to him to get the dog out and socialized.........that didnt happen. Now the dogs a terror. to say the least. The pup spends every day 3pm-8:30pm following my partner and myself around, when we are watching tv in bed of a night (530-8:30pmish) the dogs on the bed or floor (depending on his behavior) snoring away, the dog see's my partner and I as his masters when in reality its not even our dog.

SOOOO to the point. I want MY OWN dog. One I can take WHERE I want WHEN I want without having to ask someones permission.
So I think i found one.....

the AD says:
1 M 1 F pure bred staffy wormed vaccinated vet checked $300

after talking with the owner this is the lay of the land:

Male is white with black spots/patches
Female is white with brindle
both are C4 vaaccinated and covered till 2 yrs old (i dont think this is correct as you need to update vac's yearly i may have miss understood)
the pups are 13 weeks old and he told me i could have my choice of either for $200

the pups carry the blue blood lines, father is white but from a blue line and cost the owner $2,000.

All i need to pay for is the microchip $40 and registering
to register the dog is $40 if i get the dog desexed (desexing is total of about $300) and $150 if i leave entire.

IF i leave entire i can cross to another blue lined staffy down the line. A blue staffy can bring in $800-1,500 without papers.
this litter held 4 blue out of blue lined parents (neither were blue they both carry the lines) and total of 12 pups.

SOOOOOO when my partners dad wakes up I'll see what he thinks. my only prob is im not paid till next week and then i dont get a lot of money. ontop of the dog i will need to buy:

Food (we have a pile of bowls from Gus growing up lol)
collar and lead
toys
bedding
ID tag (asap)

SOOOO I think I would go for the girl at this stage without seeing them due to when I decide if Im desexing or not, if i keep her entire to breed then I need a stud not a whole female. It's easier to acquire stud service then to purchase a whole dog lol

Thoughts and ideas people?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Well it's great that your thinking of getting your own dog. I think it's also cool your considering breeding but personally I think you need to call the breeder and ask about meeting the pups first. Meeting them and seeing who they really are can help in the long run. They'll learn to recognize you quickly too. I personally support the adoption over buying but thats me. It's your choice.

I'm not gonna get preachy over how adopting is better over buying because I personally think that both have their advantages. Either way your bringing home a new friend. I want to convince my parents to get another dog myself. I wish you luck.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #3 
CTMongo

Awwww a wee Staffy!!..thats good that you are getting yourself prepared to get your own dog..not many people will do that..
and just a few questions if you dont mind me asking..lol..

If you do breed:
Will you be prepared to keep what ever pups that dont sell?
Are you going to keep a pup for yourself?
Do you have good reason to why you would want to breed your gurl?

these are just some questions to think about, Iv answered these same questions and is getting contracts made up for who ever purchases a pup, off me but thats jst me, as well as having my own kennel iv gota be all prepared..:D BUT LIKE I SAID THATS GREAT THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY GETTING PREPARED ETC..:D I KNOW 1 TO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE JUMPED INTO YOUR SPOT AND BEFORE THE PUP IS EVEN 8MONTHS OLD ITS BAK UP FOR SALE.

OMGS HAVE YOU ASKD FOR ANY PHOTOS? WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PHOTOS IF YOU HAVE!! LOVE PUPPY PHOTOS!!.
CTMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 
Abby

Ok well yeh i though of all the pros and cons, breeding because i have a love of a good looking staffy and i would like to continue the breeds good characteristics. as with the fish making the strain stronger and better.

BUT i cant have such a young dog, we all talked and theres no where to house it because te other pup lives in the kitchen of a night

BUT in stating adoption over buying. yes i would like to but to here i need paperwork from my house owners to state im allowed to have another dog and personally they are a pain to get. we ARE allowed animals.

BUT im looking now at a pure bred blue heeler. his "Drawback" is he is deaf. and hes 18months old. i would be adopting him (free from private owner)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-02-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #5 
laughing

I think it's a stupid, ignorant, careless idea.

Look at your local shelter. How many are there that are bully crosses? Seriously, you want to pay $200 for a total mutt then BREED it? Millions of dogs are euthanized everyday. And to tell you the truth, there is no longer a true "staffy/pit bull" breed anymore to reputably and responsibly breed. What a big hoax. What a big waste of money.

This is ridiculous... Go to the pound you can pick up an even better quality bully breed type of dog for less than half that cost WITH the spay/neuter & microchip included.

C'mon, have more common sense than this. There's no way anybody should be breeding this breed with how much bad rap it has and how many are flooding the shelters. Did you know there are more shelters for Staffys/Pit Bulls than any other breed?

And just a correction, it's not "Food & Toys!" that will satisfy your dog. There's heartworm preventative, tick & flea preventative, combs, brushes, ear cleaner, toothbrush & toothpaste, training tools (treats, treat bag, etc.), dog bed, crate & bedding, nail clippers, etc. Seriously, it's always taken me a good $500 just for the initial stuff. Then you need to get a vet visit, all tests done, etc. This generally runs me about $150. Of course you then need to sign up for dog training because NO YOU CANNOT DO IT ON YOUR OWN. No matter what anyone thinks. Any sane dog owner knows to have a good dog you should be put in dog classes. I'm a top trainer, and I still take my dogs. This usually costs me about $300.

Okay? Think a million times over...

Oh dear Lord... A deaf dog is insanely hard to train....

Do you realize adoption paper work is simple? You basically get a form saying you're allowed to have dogs, have them sign it, send it back. You can even fax the form over to them.

If you find THAT to be difficult, how are you going to feel when you realize your dog has leukemia and needs serious attention? How will you feel when your dog has severe hip dysplasia and you have to think of euthanasia? What happens when your puppy gets parvo, and you have to leave it in the vet's office in a crate without removal for 3 weeks, will you even have time to visit it? What happens when your dogs has ear mites and you have to put drops in its ears? Will you have the patience, dedication, and time for all of this if you cannot abtain a simple signature?

The humane society hardly cares who their animals go to. It's not like you have to go to court for this...

"Buying" is for a dog who has been health tested, genetically tested, has a PURPOSE, and is part of a standard. You purchase a dog because you're looking for specitivity. For example, I will be purchasing a Great Dane puppy from a reputable breeder because I would like to show this Dane and have genetic & health testing done on this puppy. That way I know it won't have serious, crippling genetic defects. A purchased Great Dane puppy can live 4+ years longer than an adopted one because they have been bred responsibly.

^ THAT'S a reason to buy...

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-02-2011 at 12:12 AM.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #6 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post

Look at your local shelter. How many are there that are bully crosses? Seriously, you want to pay $200 for a total mutt then BREED it? Millions of dogs are euthanized everyday. And to tell you the truth, there is no longer a true "staffy/pit bull" breed anymore to reputably and responsibly breed. What a big hoax. What a big waste of money.

This is ridiculous... Go to the pound you can pick up an even better quality bully breed type of dog for less than half that cost WITH the spay/neuter & microchip included.

C'mon, have more common sense than this. There's no way anybody should be breeding this breed with how much bad rap it has and how many are flooding the shelters. Did you know there are more shelters for Staffys/Pit Bulls than any other breed?

And just a correction, it's not "Food & Toys!" that will satisfy your dog. There's heartworm preventative, tick & flea preventative, combs, brushes, ear cleaner, toothbrush & toothpaste, training tools (treats, treat bag, etc.), dog bed, crate & bedding, nail clippers, etc. Seriously, it's always taken me a good $500 just for the initial stuff. Then you need to get a vet visit, all tests done, etc. This generally runs me about $150. Of course you then need to sign up for dog training because NO YOU CANNOT DO IT ON YOUR OWN. No matter what anyone thinks. Any sane dog owner knows to have a good dog you should be put in dog classes. I'm a top trainer, and I still take my dogs. This usually costs me about $300.

OK firstly, the pup im looking at tomorrow is up to date with ALL vaccs worming hes chipped and netured.

I can train a dog, im NOT 13, I DO KNOW WHAT I AM GETTING in TO.i just finished training our staffy.

You jumping at me like this is RUDE! i have done my research and i have had 20 years experience in every type of animal and their care you can have.

Quote:

Do you realize adoption paper work is simple? You basically get a form saying you're allowed to have dogs, have them sign it, send it back. You can even fax the form over to them.

If you find THAT to be difficult, how are you going to feel when you realize your dog has leukemia and needs serious attention? How will you feel when your dog has severe hip dysplasia and you have to think of euthanasia? What happens when your puppy gets parvo, and you have to leave it in the vet's office in a crate without removal for 3 weeks, will you even have time to visit it? What happens when your dogs has ear mites and you have to put drops in its ears? Will you have the patience, dedication, and time for all of this if you cannot abtain a simple signature?

The humane society hardly cares who their animals go to. It's not like you have to go to court for this...
HERE it is not as "SIMPLE" to get one tiny piece of paper or i would. our house isnt private owned.
I have had plenty of dogs and plenty of vet visits. again
You are making me sound stupid. I AM NOT.

A deaf dog is NO harder to train then any other dog, it just needs a different approach.
IE: if you want the dogs attention and he cannot see you, he wears a vibrating collar and paging system in place. you TRAIN it to respond to the page a vibration NOT A SHOCK as this is a cruel method of training, then you teach it to understand hand signals rather then a voice command, much like my staffy is already trained. i have taught dogs and horses alone for 10 years trust me i can handle this.

Quote:
"Buying" is for a dog who has been health tested, genetically tested, has a PURPOSE, and is part of a standard. You purchase a dog because you're looking for specitivity. For example, I will be purchasing a Great Dane puppy from a reputable breeder because I would like to show this Dane and have genetic & health testing done on this puppy. That way I know it won't have serious, crippling genetic defects. A purchased Great Dane puppy can live 4+ years longer than an adopted one because they have been bred responsibly.

^ THAT'S a reason to buy...
i am ADOPTING. the pups current owners cannot afford the time for the dogs training, therefor they are adopting the puppy out. I am adopting the dog to give it a chance at life rather then be killed.

go figure I AM NOT STUPID i have spent many hours researching everything about the dogs breed AND everything on deaf dogs i can get a hold of.

so in future do not jump in and make such rude remarks.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #7 
Abby

Quote:

This is utter crap, a dog learns hand signals EASIER then vocal commands. vocal yout telling the dog hand signals you are showing the dog

Not here its not that simple. not that its your business but my house is not privately owned i cant just rock up to the owner hand them a form and have them sign it. i live in a government owned house, the paper work would need to go through many different people before its considered signable.

any one would be upset at their pet being ill, ive been there done that. i grew up on a farm many pets died, its a way of life u give them all the treatment your vet can and still they wont always live.
Ive had dogs almost die from snake bites, ticks and yeh we have come through it. we have had tumors removed, stomachs pumped weve had claws removed we have had vets to the horses several times through the last few years, farriers, everything.
ive had to do ear drops, eye drops medicating three times a day i can handle it.

The humane society hardly cares who their animals go to. It's not like you have to go to court for this..

actually thats where your wrong, one animal rescue do property inspections, and a two week trial before you can adopt
my advice to you is get off ur high horse, your not the ONLY one who can look after an animal.

ive had horses, dogs, cats, several different types of birds, possums, wallabies, kangroos, lizards of all types, fish, snakes (even the poisonous ones), goannas, frogs, turtles, rats, mice, ferrets rabbits, Guinea pigs, chickens and ducks im prob missing animals as well but trust me ive been there done that.

Ive also worked with my local vet for a long time so yeh i kinda know what i am doing

I didnt put tick and flea preventive on the list here because hes only just been hit with all that. monday morning (i look at him sunday) he will be given it all again as hes coming to another house where new dogs are. all four dogs will be wormed and given flea and tick preventive its kinda common sense.
like when u move a horse or buy a horse u always give it another wormer just to be on the safe side or with fish, you always qt and treat a fish before introducing it to your tank

so grow up and be nice.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #8 
Abby

Quote:

FYI: the staffy pups parents are both worth over $2,000 EACH and both imported with Blue blood lines

i didnt say i wasnt going to attend classes

we have dogs so we kinda already carry most of the things you Listed this was a rough list and ive complied another to take into the store on monday if i indeed adopt this deaf dog.

Your coming off in my opinion as a stuck up know it all that thinks everyones below you and your the best. Grow up.
this is not a place for you to jump all over me for my choice of dog and my choice of training nor my choice of items.

I dont need to explain my self to you. I can competently train and care for, also provide excellent health care for any animal i choose to get, otherwise why would i get them?

Last edited by Abby; 05-20-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #9 
Abby

i just finished training our staffy. Now hes able to be walked any where off the lead and he will walk at my heel, hes trained to stop at blind corners driveways and roads where he will stop and wait for the ok to cross.his walks are usually about a km and a half hes also fully house trained and all this training in under 6 months. so yeh i KNOW what im doing.

On the farm, my working dogs are trained and working herds before they are 6 months old.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #10 
Abby

and a note on the side if i adopt him i would be checking all the paperwork regarding all the vet procedured and registration papers, if hes not uptodate with his C5 which covers everything from pavo to full kennel cough cover then of course ill have it all updated YEARLY like a responsible dog owner.