Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #11 
jbadgley61580

Thank you about the Pleco....I feel bad

He has not seemed like he has been trying to scratch himself. However, this morning I'm not sure if I startled him or what but he was bouncing off the gravel to the point where I could hear the gravel moving. I will see what he's doing tonight when I get home. Are parasites relatively easy to treat? I have QuickCure at home - however I obviously do not want to treat him for something I'm not sure he has so I haven't used it. Has anyone used this stuff? Is there something better or safer for Bettas?

We were thinking about getting ghost shrimp...thanks for the suggestions!!
jbadgley61580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #12 
DarkMoon17

Parasites aren't necessarily "hard" to treat but you do have to be persistent. I wouldn't use QuickCure, it isn't for parasites. If you were to treat him, I would just do a salt treatment, but it doesn't sound like he has parasites. He was probably just startled.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #13 
jbadgley61580

so today my Betta seems to be better. He has been sleeping/hiding most of the day. Every time he wakes up that I've seen and swims around his tank as soon as he swims into one of his plants, he darts away as if he's scared or in pain. He also takes breaks from swimming and floats vertically...it looks as if his fins are too heavy for his body. Has anyone had experience with this or know what is going on? Is this all just stress related like the woman at Petco told me??
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

Glad to hear he is doing better!

Are his plants plastic?
HM bettas often look like they are being weighed down by their fins, since technically, they are pretty heavy! It isn't really a problem.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #15 
jbadgley61580

Thank you for your reply. His plants are real. I have about 6 or 7 in his tank along with some real drift wood. He's in a Fluval Edge though so there's plenty of room for him and all of his decorations. I actually took a sample of my water to a specialty tropical fish store yesterday. They told me that my Ph levels were way too high for the fish and that his gills were probably burning So he told me to do a 50% water change last night (using different water than I had been using) and add Pimafix to the water to treat for any bacterial or fungal infections that could have cropped up due to this. I did that and my Betta was back to his old self for about 20 minutes: his fins were no longer clamped, he ate, he was swimming all over his tank. Then he hid under the drift wood where he stayed until I woke up for work at 4:00am this morning. He was pretty much doing the same thing he did yesterday with bouncing off of his plants like he didn't know they were there and/or was in pain. He also was trying to get his pellets but just kept missing them a little. He finally got one and ate it right up. Is it possible that going from pitch black to having my light on would make him swim so erratically? or is it possibly from the Ph level too? This morning when I left he was sleeping on his side in a plant. I feel so awful that this is all my fault. I bought a test kit but I guess it was too late; the damage is already done. The people at Petco tested my water too and told me it was "perfect"...however, they used the test strips which I have heard/read are entirely inaccurate. They obviously are. Is there anything to do for burned gills?! I feel so terrible