Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #1 
kumi

"Ideal" QT setup??

Hi. I can see that I will be into Bettas long term and I'm trying to get set up so that I can deal with illnesses, etc. Just want to be prepared!

I currently have two 2.5 gallon aquariums with heaters, thermometers, filters, and lots of live plants. I want to replace one of the heaters--it's not adjustable and if the thermometer is correct, it's really running a bit too hot. As long as I'm ordering that, I want to think about what else I might want.

From reading posts, it looks like there are three different ways to go about treating an ill Betta: in the original tank, in a small container floated in the original tank, or in a stand-alone tank. With my small tanks and all of the plants, I think I would have trouble with the "small container floated in the original tank" and it would depend upon what was being used whether or not I could treat in the original tank. It would have to be something that wouldn't kill the plants.

So, if I'm right, it seems that I should be prepared to move Betta-Needing-Treatment to a different container. If so, what size is ideal? I'm happy to get an extra heater while I'm ordering stuff (AND another thermometer) I was thinking of a Kritter Keeper--easily gettable in a 1, 2, or 3 gallon size. (I'm ordering from Petmountain, so will have to live with whatever color they send me ). Would that work or would a glass drum bowl be better?? Available 1/2 gal, 1 gal, or 2 gal. About the same price, actually. Somehow, the glass drum bowl seems easier to clean well....

Suggestions??? Anything that I didn't think of???

Thank you!!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #2 
denaliwind

From my own personal experience, a small tank is ideal because most likely you'll be doing 100% water changes daily. Also, a simple tank, bare bottom is best too so you don't have to constantly clean the decor and also that you can keep an eye on your betta without anything getting in the way. I use a 1/2 gallon container with a 10w heater and a thermometer for my QTs (I think a cube/rectangular tank would be easier to clean, and something with a wide opening).

Welcome to the hobby! :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
From my own personal experience, a small tank is ideal because most likely you'll be doing 100% water changes daily. Also, a simple tank, bare bottom is best too so you don't have to constantly clean the decor and also that you can keep an eye on your betta without anything getting in the way. I use a 1/2 gallon container with a 10w heater and a thermometer for my QTs (I think a cube/rectangular tank would be easier to clean, and something with a wide opening).

Welcome to the hobby! :D
Thank you--I have already succumbed to MTS. What you say about rectangular and with a large opening makes sense, which points to a Kritter Keeper. What heater do you use? Is it adjustable?

Thanks,
Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 
tokala

I use a minibow 2.5 with a heater, no filter for my hospital tank. the hood keeps the air moist, and sometimes I only fill it up half ways if I am dealing with a really sick betta.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote