Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #1 
flowerslegacy

New Sorority-keeping the peace!

Hello Everyone! What an awesome forum. Thank you for all the info you've provided since I'm brand new to awesome betta's. Here's my question: I have a 25 gal (fully cycled) with four girls (Nancy, Fancy, Bubbles & Lucy). Lots of plants, 2 betta logs, a wonderrock with big holes, leaf hammocks that I can't keep in one piece and a cave. The sorority is 4 days old and so far the water is perfect. First day was a pecking order nightmare then it mellowed out. Now they're pecking a little again. I'm assuming they will work it out over time. I'm wondering if adding tankmates, like rasporas or tetras will help calm them down - distract them from each other. Nancy is just bossy and I may just have to remove her and rearrange the plants, etc. The other 3 tend to be okay with each other, but who knows what it would be like if Nancy wasn't there. I just want to keep the peace if I can assist in any way. I ultimately wanted to get 4 girls, 4 tetras and 3 cherry shrimp. But I've changed my mind from tetras to rasporas based on MoePaac's kind response in another thread. My three concerns: 1) keeping the girls peaceful, even it means I don't get tankmates or if I should add 2 more girls. 2) Never overstocking 3) if I do get tankmates, getting the right type ie. raspora's or tetras. Any help would be appreciated!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #2 
trono

In that big of a tank, I might suggest getting more betta girls.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #3 
mark32286

Red face good day. I Am new to bettas. im from philippines.. ^^

i have a 2.5gal. tank, and 1 male crown tail betta,.
and i want to add a 2 mollie fish, it is possible they leave together? or they are going to fight? please any one answer this.. thank you
mark32286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark32286 View Post
i have a 2.5gal. tank, and 1 male crown tail betta,.
and i want to add a 2 mollie fish, it is possible they leave together? or they are going to fight? please any one answer this.. thank you
That's too small of a tank for anything other than a betta.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #5 
laughing

OP, I would highly suggest getting LOTS more females. You could have about 9 females in there. And always keep the number odd! Always. So you could do 9 females or 11 females, whichever you feel more comfortable with. But the rule of thumb is "The more females, LESS FIGHTING!" Also, try and get females that are sisters, they'll be less likely to fight as well. Good luck! ^^

Mark- Mollies need 10+ gallons. They are schooling fish and enjoy being with many of their kind. My balloon mollies had 20 gallons just to themselves with the 6 of them. Balloon mollies get to be about 2 inches, but most other mollies get to be 3-4 inches. Therefore a 20 gallon tank would happily house 5 or 6 mollies. And for mollies you should add 1 male for every 2-3 females. So either go all females and have no babies, or go 2 males and 4 females.

Definitely do NOT put the mollies in with the betta!! More than likely, your betta WILL kill the mollie. Mollies flare like bettas and most have bright, shiny coloring. It is very possible your male will consider the mollie to be another male betta and will go after it. Plus, mollies are semi-aggressive fish who like to pick on other fish. And in a 2.5 gallon, there's no much room to run away!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I agree about getting more bettas but some tetra's and cories could help even out the aggression..Or at least that's what I read somewhere. Add more fish levels out aggression.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote