Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #11 
BlueHaven

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=14374
Here is a close up of his eye, it's a tiny bit blurred, sorry about that.
He has a minor bloat, but it's because I accidentally over fed him.
I'm waiting 2-3 days before feeding him again.
I heard of people using a pea, but I also heard that it is not safe for them.
I do not want to take a chance. Is it safe to use epsom salt with this medication? Or is it not needed and will clear up on it's own?
He looks pretty bad!
:(
But he's bouncing all over the place for food, lol
The red on the tip of his gill is because he is annoyed!
They turn red at annoyance, and then back to his normal color when he's fine.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #12 
BlueHaven

Hi!
Okay i've been treating him with the jungle medication, the fungus spots have gone away and now theres only the white on his eyes.
It looks like it is dissapearing too, but to describe it:
It was a small circle on each eye, one was only half and then a small circle. It started to look like it was falling off him and that dissapeared to what it looks like now, just very small white circles around his eyes.
It apeared to be inside his eye, but now it just looks like it's on the outside, on the clear glass like cover over his eyes.
I've been doing daily water changes on him, and re-adding the fungus clear.
It's been around a week long treatment, I think 9 days.
I have another picture, but I need to find my camera cord. Haha...
He pretty much looks like the last picture in the above post.
As far as his bloat, it happened because I dropped a bunch of flakes in his tank, and before I could get them all out he started gobbling them up.
And then I was treating him for the fungus and didn't use anything else, I tried to not feed him for a couple days but it didn't get better. I gave in and fed him some mosquito larvae, hoping it would help his health.
He's still got a fat stomach, but i'll use the epsom salt.
I do wonder, this IS a bloat right?
It's his stomach that is big, but it's a very tiny bit farther over than his stomach too...like right behind his ventril fins.
I believe it is though, because I haven't seen him poo since I started medicating him...>_<
His stomach looks like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/2272576807_de76b8fbef.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bettafishsupplies.us/72/bloated-betta-fish/&usg=__VS4bmh8d7UsAvB6famV_prAHRcc=&h=375&w=500&sz =91&hl=en&start=10&zoom=1&tbnid=Xh4kuiD0OORjtM:&tb nh=137&tbnw=181&ei=VEfVTZeqLc6htwfAqfWSDA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbetta%2Bbloated%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7TSNA_enUS386US387%26biw%3D134 5%26bih%3D481%26tbm%3Disch0%2C3420%2C342&um=1&itbs =1&iact=rc&dur=379&sqi=2&page=2&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429 ,r:5,s:10&tx=101&ty=81&biw=1345&bih=481
But of course, on a male cause he is a he!
lol

I think I will do a large water change on his 5 gallon, and let him back in there, with epsom salt. Can I use the epsom salt AND the fungus medication together?
I may be worrying too much, but the box didn't say whether using other stuff was safe besides jungle products.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #13 
DarkMoon17

Glad to hear that he's clearing up. It might take a little longer to get rid of the eye fungus... Just repeat the treatment if it is still there.
If his belly just looks like that female then I don't think he is bloated. He ate a bit too much, but he isn't in danger of bloat. You can fast him for a day and see if his belly shrinks down a bit. He isn't having any trouble swimming is he? If he hasn't had any other symptoms then just continue the Fungus treatment, don't start the epsom.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #14 
BlueHaven

What does pineconing look like?
His stomach isn't big at the bottom, just on the sides and his scales are sticking out a bit, I thought it was just his stomach being stretch from over eating.
He is active and happy (and he keeps looking for food), but he isn't as active as he was before, he rests alot. I think he's got alot of spirit in him cause he flares at things and follows my finger sometimes.
do you think he will be okay?
I switched him back to his 5 gallon with the fungus medication and more live plants. I did a 100 percent water change before he got back in his home.
I am using indian almond leaves.
Here is a picture of what he looks like:

Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #15 
DarkMoon17

I can't see what you mean from the picture very well... If his scales are raised then you need to start treating him for dropsy asap. The sooner you treat it the better chance of survival he will have...

This is a betta in later stages of pineconning (dropsy)

Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #16 
BlueHaven

Oh, sorry about that.
He is a fast mover!
-patience-

His scales look normal, but on the sides of his stomach, they are sticking out a little.
And barely noticable around that...
I will treat him for it!

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #17 
DarkMoon17

If he is in the early stages then you might be able to treat him with just 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon with 100% water changes every day and temp around 82*F. If you don't see improvement within a couple days (or if you see him getting more pineconed) then get some Maracyn II and treat him with that *in addition* to the salt and daily water changes.