Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #21 
TheCrysCat

Yeah, I'd say it depends on the individual petco. I've gotten all of my bettas from there, and they seem to take fairly good care of them. And, at the risk of sounding like a pessimist, I doubt they're going to stop selling them no matter how many people boycott. For every one person who "gets it" and cares, there's going to be at least twenty who are going to continue buying them and/or simply not care. For me, it's pretty much the only place I can go to to get bettas, other than a petsmart who takes even worse care of them. AB isn't an option for me.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #22 
ollief9

I've never seen particularly diabolically cared-for Bettas for sale, mainly because they're somewhat hard to find in the UK.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #23 
Wyvern

I have to agree, here in South Africa we dont have petco's nor walmart (altho they might be coming here!)

Its something I miss tho, because the prices we pay for tanks and so forth makes it an expensive hobby, that is why
I only have 2 betta's for now.

Luckily I have 2 very good LPS near me. The one keeps his betta's in big tanks with a few tank mates. And they look beautiful. The other one keeps their betta's in little dividers in the big tanks - It seems a bit cruel to me so I havent bought any betta's from them altho I got my goldies from them because their other fish stock is amazing.

I prefer going to the one guy close to me, he chats for ages and has taught me a lot as well as me teaching him a lot. He is also willing to help me find a local betta breeder that does have more varieties than just the veiltails that we normally get here. He loved the pics that i took of my betta tank and is now telling everyone to do it my way. He also told me he wont sell the 1gallon tanks anymore to prevent people from getting the wrong tank for their betta! How awesome is that!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #24 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I have to agree, here in South Africa we dont have petco's nor walmart (altho they might be coming here!)

I prefer going to the one guy close to me, he chats for ages and has taught me a lot as well as me teaching him a lot. He is also willing to help me find a local betta breeder that does have more varieties than just the veiltails that we normally get here. He loved the pics that i took of my betta tank and is now telling everyone to do it my way. He also told me he wont sell the 1gallon tanks anymore to prevent people from getting the wrong tank for their betta! How awesome is that!
That's fantastic!

I do think that one of the major culprits is the manufacturers that are selling the products. Even the reasonable setups have unreasonable photos on the boxes of the kits--way too many fish pictured in a five gallon "starter" set, for example. We are all (well, almost all) buying equipment from companies that also selling sub-standard Betta bowls or encouraging poor setups. One employee I talked to at a Petsmart said that it can be extremely difficult to talk new fish owners into good practices when there are all of those splashy photos on the boxes! She was SO happy I was buying a heater for the Betta I got!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote