Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #91 
copperarabian

I don't buy off aquabid (yet) but I do look at them XD I really want a giant, and I absolutely love the Bettas I included below.

After I breed my first pair of bettas I might consider buying a few from aquabid for their genetics.

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #92 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
What's wrong with him? I'm curious, I don't feel like I understand what the breeding standards are for bettas. I think I see some rosetail, which is undesirable from what I hear... he's not a full dragon, obviously, but I find his patterning kind of attractive....
It's not necessarily standards that are the issue (IMO) so much as the health and viability of the next generation you would be producing with this fish. It's far less obvious than with the 'apache feathertail' from the same breeder, but rosetails and more so feathertails are considered deformities. They have deformed scales, harder times swimming and often in a batch of fry from which they came, the vast majority of them are so deformed that they can't survive (or so says what I've read).

Breeding either rosetails or feathertails has pretty heavy consequences that one has to weigh before and while they're breeding/raising fry. As many have said you need to keep in mind one thing - a fish has to swim! With so much feathering, deforming and health complications, that fish is going to survive. Not live. If it survives, of course.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #93 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
It's not necessarily standards that are the issue (IMO) so much as the health and viability of the next generation you would be producing with this fish. It's far less obvious than with the 'apache feathertail' from the same breeder, but rosetails and more so feathertails are considered deformities. They have deformed scales, harder times swimming and often in a batch of fry from which they came, the vast majority of them are so deformed that they can't survive (or so says what I've read).

Breeding either rosetails or feathertails has pretty heavy consequences that one has to weigh before and while they're breeding/raising fry. As many have said you need to keep in mind one thing - a fish has to swim! With so much feathering, deforming and health complications, that fish is going to survive. Not live. If it survives, of course.
It is unfortunate that we do this with all domestic animals :( Like pug/bull dogs with sinus issues, french bull dogs cant even give natural birth any more since their hips are so narrow. Paint horses with such upright pasterns that they get navicular so easily. the list is endless. Although not every animal has a hard or bad life, it still makes you think. We still have a responsibility to the animals well being- perhaps we are selfish for breeding them for these traits.

That being said, I can see why they do it (feather tail)- they look stunning IMO. And as long as it produces a trait that others like, I doubt it will go away.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #94 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I don't buy off aquabid (yet) but I do look at them XD I really want a giant, and I absolutely love the Bettas I included below.

After I breed my first pair of bettas I might consider buying a few from aquabid for their genetics.

I love your taste!!!! Especially the last two- HOLY MOLY! Love that... koi? maybe? what ever he is, i want him!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #95 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokala View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
+1

Not everyone is trying to show their fish... I think he is gorgeous, whether or not a fish is "show quality" is not my main concern, but more of is he healthy... if strains cause a fish to become unhealthy, they should not be bred. The same goes for any animal... more importantly, dogs, cats and other animals who are over bred and end up in animal shelters, only to be put to sleep because there are not enough homes to keep them.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #96 
nowzem

I really love this one's color, what do you guys think? Too plain vanilla?
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #97 
nowzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
+1

Not everyone is trying to show their fish... I think he is gorgeous, whether or not a fish is "show quality" is not my main concern, but more of is he healthy... if strains cause a fish to become unhealthy, they should not be bred. The same goes for any animal... more importantly, dogs, cats and other animals who are over bred and end up in animal shelters, only to be put to sleep because there are not enough homes to keep them.
+1111111. I like you, smellsfishie! <3
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #98 
LouCB

seen a few that i liked last night..

LouCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #99 
Neil D

I hate you all. Now I'm gonna be the creepy fish guy down the street when I get my own place. haha
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #100 
Gizmothefreaky

whoa, all of these fish are so amazing!! I am going to have to show some real restraint to NOT buy every single one when i get another job... o.o
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this