Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 
Silverfang

Would he be a good breeder?

While I haven't decided to start breeding, at least not any time in the near or even far future, I was being nosy and perusing AB.
I saw this guy, and there was something about him that kept drawing me back. He looks incredible, but I have no idea what to look for in a good breeder.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1306125286
I love MG's, I don't know why, I just do, and he struck me as being just, wow. With a bit more searching I found this female, it calls her a Mustard dragon female. Would she provide a suitable match?
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1306392593
I realize this is mostly just me wondering aloud, but I was wondering if these two would make a suitable match?

Thank you anyone who can provide some insight.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

In terms of color they would probably be a good match. It's just that the male is non metallic while the female is dragon. So you would have both in the offspring, plus some mixes. You need to selectively breed F1 to continue the line you want (non metallic or metallic).

In terms of fins; notice that the male's caudal (tail) or the rear end of the body is leaning upward. They need to be straight. Further his anal is too long. So you need to selectively breed them out. You also want his pectorals to be smooth till the end, not have a protruding end.
The female's dorsal is rather small and her anal is a bit too long plus she has a rather dippy head. Other than that, she's OK.

I'm sorry if I sound discouraging. I'm trying to give you an idea about the "perfect betta". Tbh I too don't work with perfect bettas because I don't enter shows..... I simply love them - all of them. But I do try to keep them as close to show quality as possible.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

I think he's decent. I'd breed him. He's not perfect but nothing too serious that you couldn't fix it with selective culling. I do agree with everything Indjo said however so if you breed him you'd have to look out for those things in the fry and cull away from them.

I like the female but again, since the male's anal is so long I might go with a more moderately finned girl because I think those two might just perpetuate the long anal in the fry.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote