Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #11 
peaches3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Are they feeder goldfish? (the 25 cent ones?) if so, they have the capacity to grow about 18 inches long. I just got some a few months ago (3 inches when I got them) they are now 6 inches long. And the one I got last year is about 12 inches. I'd highly recommend you find them a home with someone who has a pond.
yes, they are feeder goldfish. i didn't know they could get that big but five gallons is definitely not enough room for them. i will tell my dad to remove the goldfish. he has a larger tank at home.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #12 
marian1949

Bettas and Fancy Goldfish can live peacefully together. But, the Goldfish must be the Fancy, slower types, not the Comets. Your father needs a larger tank for his two Goldfish. Each Goldfish should have ten gallons of water. So, your dad should have a 20 - 30 gallon tank. Goldfish grow up to be about 18 inches long.
marian1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #13 
Splendid Veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian1949 View Post
Bettas and Fancy Goldfish can live peacefully together. But, the Goldfish must be the Fancy, slower types, not the Comets. Your father needs a larger tank for his two Goldfish. Each Goldfish should have ten gallons of water. So, your dad should have a 20 - 30 gallon tank. Goldfish grow up to be about 18 inches long.

regardless of fancy or not. they still have different requirements.
so keeping a 2 inch betta with a 6 inch fancy is not acceptable.
they are the same godfish, they just happen to look different. they are cold water, and bettas are tropical. please rethink what you posted.
Splendid Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #14 
JKfish

this thread is 9 months old. Please do not resurrect threads that have been dormant for a while; it pushes more important and unsolved threads further down and away from view.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #15 
LeroyTheBetta

+1 (emphatically) to all the "no" answers.

Also, just want to add that goldfish are notorious fin-nippers. Two speedy goldfish in with your slow betta is no match. Incredibly high stress level for the betta probably, and stress is a big contributor to illness & disease in fish as it lowers their immune system and makes them avaliable to host any sort of nastiness that happens to come along. And, lots of bad stuff already lurks in the aquarium and on the fish, but a healthy fish and proper environment (temp, ph, being handled properly, good diet, etc.) will keep the bad stuff at bay..... UNTIL stress comes along. You've already got that! It's a waiting game now.

Your dad's set up is just inviting an early death for that betta!

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #16 
marian1949

I stand by what I said. I have had a Betta with my Goldfish for the past two years. I have Fancy, slower Goldfish, not Comets. I also put a heater on the tank set at 70F., and both species are doing great.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #17 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian1949 View Post
I stand by what I said. I have had a Betta with my Goldfish for the past two years. I have Fancy, slower Goldfish, not Comets. I also put a heater on the tank set at 70F., and both species are doing great.
You may have had luck, but the betta is still not living in its proper conditions. Bettas need at least 76 degrees, 70 is way too cold. It doesn't matter how fast/slow the goldfish is, the water requirements are just too different.

That being said, this thread is very old.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #18 
marian1949

There are Freshwater Tropicals that can take lower temperatures, as the Betta is one of them. Platys are another. Why must this be a debate????
Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #19 
turtle10

It isn't a debate, it is a well known fact that bettas require temperatures in the 76-82 range. If you wish to put them in water that doesn't necessarily meet their requirements it is up to you. Not a debate, just a simple fact that bettas prefer higher temperatures.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #20 
marian1949

I know they PREFER warmer temp's., but they CAN survive in lower temp's also. And be quite healthy and happy. Now enough is enough!