Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

You are lucky to find a fish shop willing to buy the Bettas and not give store credit...generally that is how it is done....no passing of money per se' due to tax and liability reasons

Generally when dealing with live fish and pet shops you get about 50 cents to 1 dollar per fish...this also depends on the Betta quality and tail type...VT it is usually a lot less...10/$1.00-2.00...HM and DT a bit more and color is a factor as is the age..generally how well the fish looks as far as fin growth etc.....remember they have overhead to deal with too.....

Usually-once you sell or take store credit for the fish it is no longer yours and the pet shop can do with it as they like....you will be lucky if they will sign a contract saying otherwise....not saying this pet shop will not...they may be great to work with and even give unsold fish back to you after a given time...this is general information that is based on my personal experience in selling fish to fish shops that I deal with......

When you choose to breed and have lots of offspring to deal with and generally dealing with anything live....you have to deal with death too and the reality of how much or little money you can make and what your responsibility as a breeder is......some fish that go to fish shops will end up in the cichlid tank as live fish food, sick fish will be destroyed, water changes may not be done the way you want nor will education of new hobbyist in proper care to your standard....this varies from fish shop to fish shop..especially in light of the fact that there are lots of good and correct ways to keep and breed fish that may differ from yours...but their bottom line is often profit based...if they don't make a profit they can't keep the doors open...thats reality......hopefully the shop you are dealing with is different than most.......and you will get the price you want and a contract........

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #22 
lunawatsername

oldfishlady- hmmm i dint even think of that... actually, if he wanted to work out something with store credit i would probably be willing to do that, the place is awesome and i would probably spend about half of it there anyway xDD (i was just there yesterday and i think i might be going back pretty soon to get a bunny :D)

i figured that it wold probably depend alot on the color and developement, that makes sense too.

i was thinking that i would be really lucky to get a contract, it seems like that would be the kind of thing pet stores would avoid unfortunately for breeders. but i will demand that i get to see where he will keep them, i want to know what he does to sick fish, or old fish. and if he wont sign a contract, ill be checking in anyway, and i if i see something i dont like, then i wont sell them there anymore. honestly though, i think he seems like a good guy, and i know you cant just trust that but i have high hopes for him and a high opinion of everything that ive seen so far there, so ill see where that takes me :)

i also know that death is an unfortunate part of dealing with animals, whether you breed or not. and i know i cant insist that he hand out care sheets unless it was in a contract, which is not very likely. but i dont see why he would protest me making them and putting them in the store, because from what ive seen he does take very good care of all animals in his pet shop, so i think he would be open to at least mentioning them to customers.

honestly, i would take the contract over a good profit, because i get ridiculously attached to animals and i know that if i raise baby fish it will be no different. i have already relized that not every one of them is going to survive, and a relative few of them will probably get really good homes that know how to properly care for a betta, but anything i can do to up that number even a little, i will do. :)

and thank you :)
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #23 
justinianobrenden

i ahve a couple 2 and a halfs i culd put one in and i jus was wonderin forif i ever do breed them right now i still hav t raise and sell my guppy fry before i can do any of tht. okay so wht if i had them in their own 2.5s and then i put the male in one side of the 10 with the divider and the female in the other wuld tht work cuz like i was trying to say tht is almost the same as puttin the male in a 10 and having the female inside of a jar inside of the 10 gallon and then when i think they are ready i remove the divider and let them do their thing?
justinianobrenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #24 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinianobrenden View Post
i ahve a couple 2 and a halfs i culd put one in and i jus was wonderin forif i ever do breed them right now i still hav t raise and sell my guppy fry before i can do any of tht. okay so wht if i had them in their own 2.5s and then i put the male in one side of the 10 with the divider and the female in the other wuld tht work cuz like i was trying to say tht is almost the same as puttin the male in a 10 and having the female inside of a jar inside of the 10 gallon and then when i think they are ready i remove the divider and let them do their thing?
Lol no actually it isn't the same thing. The female needs to be in the jar. Removing a large divider is also more disruptive. So, no divider, it really is not the same at all.

Also you said you only have two 2.5s, but you have three fish total (male, 2 females). Where does the third fish go?
turtle10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #26 
justinianobrenden

i said i decided tht if i do ill jus get 2 bettas instead of 3 and okay,i didnt know removin tht wuld be disruptive
Posted via Mobile Device
justinianobrenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #27 
turtle10

Justin, do you have any bettas right now?

I would just focus on raising your guppies and keeping Bettas as pets. Betta breeding is much more difficult than breeding livebearers so I would wait a few more months so you can gain experience and knowledge.
turtle10 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettas, breeder, halfmoons, lfs, selling