Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #11 
turtle10

[/size]
Housing

What size is your tank?
48g
What temperature is your tank?80 (I started raising the temperature slowly until it got to 84 to help kill the ick, I would raise it to 86 but I don't know if a Betta can handle that for two weeks)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your Betta fish live with?South American cichlid (half red/blood parrot, half convict hybrid), 10 gallons is divided off for the Betta because he kept gorging on the cichlid food. Also this way I can keep the air stone on high without stressing out my betta.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Tetra pellets, Betta pellets as the main diet(four in the morning, 4 in the evening), one tetra flake a day, then one freeze dried brine shrimp every other day, and 2 freeze dried blood worms a week,
This is way too much freeze dried food a week, I would cut it down to just one worm or shrimp a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
25% twice a month, but since ick appeared I did a 60% water change the first day, and plan on doing a 40% on Friday and then continue with 25% twice a week for three weeks.
25% twice a month is way too little, you should do at least 50% once a week regularly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? around 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Blackwater Extract, Aquarium Salt
Always use water conditioner. You should not use aquarium salt regularly, it should only be used to treat disease, not prevent it. Using the aq salt regularly will increase the betta's immunity to it.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your Betta fish's appearance changed?
Ick parasite is visible
How has your Betta fish's behavior changed?
no
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Heat treatment, water changes,
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)?less then 2[/quote]

I would say this happened because of bad water quality. Once he is better make sure you keep up with the 50% weekly water changes.

Also, cichlids should not be kept with bettas.

Last edited by turtle10; 05-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #12 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
[/size]

This is way too much freeze dried food a week, I would cut it down to just one worm or shrimp a week.

25% twice a month is way too little, you should do at least 50% once a week regularly.

Always use water conditioner. You should not use aquarium salt regularly, it should only be used to treat disease, not prevent it. Using the aq salt regularly will increase the betta's immunity to it.

I would say this happened because of bad water quality. Once he is better make sure you keep up with the 50% weekly water changes.

Also, cichlids should not be kept with bettas.

awww my poor fish, I totally feel bad now. I'll make sure to do a water change once a week from now on rather then every two weeks

I forgot to add that I started using water conditioner, I recently changed from distilled to tap water. I changed after reading on this site how distilled water is very bad for fish because it has nothing in it. and I'll definitely do 50% water changes once a week. I can't believe I never used distilled water before, it's so much easier compared to going to the store and buying a whole bunch of water and carrying it all up the stairs to my room. in the first three days I did 2 80% water changes and in between did a 30% to get any ick that might be in the aquarium still as well as the watr changes I'm still doing. Using tap is fantastic, I've been using bottled distilled since 2 grade and it's a great change.

My cichlid never bothered my Betta, and I did read about the horror storys of cichlids with bettas and was incredibly careful, now he has his own divided area though. Will he be ok in the divided area (Like will my cichlid actually make my Betta sick or something? or did you just mean the aggression that cichlids almost always have?)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

I am glad ur fish better. Just want to say something in case anyone has this problems.

If u tank too big to do daily water changes along with salt treatments u can use two cup method to treat Ich..the small containers...float him in the QT in a heated tank with 85-86*and u will using another cup with dechlorinated water in the heated tank and net the fish each day to the fresh like temp dechlorinated water in another cup.

I have print out with all instructions from Oldfishlady. I just wrote briefly recommendation. But it more with every step explanation instructions.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #14 
turtle10

OH stupid me, I thought the betta and cichlid were together! LOL, they are totally fine if they have a divider lol. And I just meant the general aggression cichlids have. That is nice they never bothered your betta, I'm sure his fins were pretty enticing lol.

But don't feel bad about the changes! I don't even want to tell you how bad I was before this site, so we all made mistakes.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, ick, king betta, white spot