Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #1 
SashimiBetta

Am I feeding my Bettas good food?

Hi, it's me...again!

Well, incase you don't know I have 2 Bettas (Delta Male/Veil-Tail Female) & I've been feeding them Omega One *Betta Buffet* Flakes. My old Sashimi, loved them...But my other two don't.

I've been dropping the flakes into their tank and they don't even look at them, so I did drop it in front of them, so that they know it's there..But they just ignore it.

I'm worried that if my Bettas keep ignoring their food - They might die of starvation.

Does anyone else have the same product?

Here is a picture of the flakes I use:
Attached Images

SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #2 
laughing

I use Hikari pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and live fruit flies.

I've never seen those around, but pellets are so cheap you should try a different brand. My female is super picky with her pellets.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 
SashimiBetta

Well, I do have frozen bloodworms...Except I only feed them bloodworms on Sundays. Because I heard that Bloodworms are just a treat and aren't food FOOD. They are more like junk food for fish.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 
laughing

Yes, they are, but they are a fabulous "gate way" food! Feeding my female blood worms got her to eat pellets.

You might want to try to get some freeze-dried ones (like a couple bucks at PetCo the "betta" kind) and feed those for 1-2 days, completely fast for one day, then try a new brand of pellets. It worked for me!

My feeding is normally pellets. My male is a pig and eats a bunch, which I'm cutting him down on, and my female eats about 4 pellets a day. Each day they get a small piece of bloodworm, and they get the fruit flies every couple of days. Especially when the breeding in their container gets out of control.... o.O
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #5 
carzz

None of my nine fish will even pay attention to a flake. :S I do try to feed them with it once in a while, but not too often. I think of flakes as the 'vegetable' of betta food. No one wants to sit down and eat a plate of steamed broccoli for dinner, right? hahahaha
I know, it's horrible, but oh well. Like I said, I try to give it to them once in a while. Most of the time, my bettas get pellets (good brand) and freeze dried blood worms.
If I can find the right brand, I buy frozen BABY brine shrimp. Let a little cube unfreeze, and give them a few drops, and the LOVE those!!!
Just keep it mixed up. That's the best thing I think.
Also, I pick two days, (never the same two days) and skip feeding them those days. It helps keep them from bloating. But if they do bloat, boil a pea, peel the shell off, and give them half of it. When I do this, I ALWAYS give them half a pea, the next day, they go into a QT tank, for 24 hours with nothing to eat after, then back into a CLEAN bowl. :) And they are hap hap happy little ones :)
But if they won't eat a pea, mush it, and dip their favorite food in it.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
laughing

I agree with Carzz.

Definitely mix it up! My bettas never know what they're getting. One morning it is pellets & blood worms, the next pellets. Sometimes for lunch they get pellets, or they get fruit flies. They always are waiting at the top to see what they get! Hehe :3
Old 05-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 
carzz

Are those 7 day betta blocks any good?
The ones that are little color fish that look like chalk?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #8 
SashimiBetta

So, if I were to get pellets..What kind of brand is good?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #9 
laughing

My mollies & GloFish as well as snail loved those.

I haven't tried them on my betta's tanks, though. I feed them regularly enough. Those blocks dissolve into the water if not eaten, and they do raise the ammonia. I wouldn't suggest it unless you are putting it in for a day, then removing it and tossing it out. They're good for 5 gallons + though to leave in a couple days with water changes.

(I used them in 20 gallons.)
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #10 
carzz

Hikari betta pellets :)